A couple of weekends ago, 3 wonderful online friends of mine came to Georgia for the weekend. I had the best intentions of posting about it, but it was not meant to be. You can read my friend Melissa's account of the event here. It really was a very wonderful weekend and I am so greatful for these friends and for the time I had to spend with them IRL.
The weekend they were here, we found out that Derek's Grandma, Juanita, had been placed in the hospital due to dehydration. Her health had declined rapidly over the last several months and she had been subjected to several hospital stays. From the way Derek's Grandpa described the situation, it was really not a serious illness. Derek's parents (who have spent a couple of months in Georgia during the winter for the last 4 years) decided to head up to Indiana to check on her. They left on the Sunday that my friends were heading back home. Derek talked to his Grandma on Sunday night and she seemed alert and on the mend.
By Monday, her health had declined rapidly and she was no longer coherent. We left as soon as we found out and made it to Indiana by 1 am on Tuesday morning. Although she wasn't responsive all of the time, she clearly knew who we were and I have no doubt that when her spirit left this world headed for heaven, she knew that her family loved her. We didn't leave her side until she passed away (peacefully) at 3:15 am on March 17, 2010.
We each had our chances to say what we wanted to say to her and I am so thankful that we had that opportunity.
I never got to know Juanita when she could run from a bear in the UP or when she could hear what I was saying or when I could fully experience all that she gave to her family. But from the 6 short years that I knew her, she was an absolutely wonderful woman who made sure her family knew she loved them. Every time we left, she cried. And she wrote down what time we should make it home so that she would't forget to make sure we made it there. She never had a mean thing to say about anyone. She had a beautiful smile and a warm heart. I bet she baked some delicious cookies and I am sure that, as a child, Derek spent some wonderful time snuggled up in her lap. She loved to sweep the driveway. She enjoyed the simple things in life like watching the birds eat from her birdfeeder and swinging in her back yard.
Derek doesn't have a very large family and losing his Grandmother was a large blow to us. She will be greatly missed by all of us.
8 comments:
Aww, Carli, I'm so sorry to hear about Derek's grandmother. What a sweet tribute post to her. She sounds like she was a special, lovely woman.
I am so sorry to hear about Grandma Juanita's passing, Carli. She sounds like an amazing woman. You, Derek, and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm so sorry Carli. I'm sure it was a very difficult thing to say goodbye to such an amazing woman. It sounds like she will be dearly missed and that she had an impact on so many people around her and a very special place in the hearts of her family members. Your family is in our prayers.
What a lovely post, and tribute. I'm so sorry for yours and Derek's loss. But it sounds like she had lovely life, and family surrounding her at the end. Who could ask for anything more?
Hugs.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, Carli. I hope you shared your post with Derek. It was touching to read.
Carli, I am sorry to hear about the passing of Derek's grandmother. I am praying for her and for the rest of your family. May you find comfort in the last moments you spent with her and the memories that you will always hold dear to your hearts. She sounds like an amazing woman.
Still thinking of your loss. Beautiful post. Love you sweetie.
I'm so sorry to hear about Derek's grandma and I apologise for being so late.
Grandma Juanita sounds like a wonderful person and I'm certain she'll be dearly missed.
Big hugs to you, Derek and your family.
Post a Comment