Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Update from Labor and Delivery

Last night was fairly uneventful.  I haven't had any heavy contractions and I am not dilated.   I had my second steroid shot at 6:30 this morning.  They gave me a dose of Cervidill to soften my Cervix to hopefully make the induction tomorrow a little easier.  I was told that sometimes this medicine will be enough to kick start labor and get things rolling.  I guess only time will tell.  They will remove the medicine at 5 am tomorrow morning and start the Pitocin at about 6.

I had really hoped to NOT be induced.  All of the birth stories I have read about induction seem like it is a very slow process and many have seemed to have some very difficult labors/births when induced.  Perhaps these 2 things are unrelated, but that has been my take on things.

Regardless of me feelings on this, it seems that the ball will begin rolling downhill by 6 am tomorrow at the latest.  However small the incline on that hill may be and however long it takes that ball to roll to the bottom of the hill. 

I am also hoping to forgo a C-Section.  But, once again I have no preconceived notion that I have any control over this process.  I am trying to just let go and let the process be what it will be.

I found out I am allergic to one of the antibiotics I was being given.  The first dose went in my IV just fine, the second one burned a bit.  The third one burnt A LOT.  Each time I reported this, they attempted to change the speed and the dilution of the antibiotic, saying that the antibiotic was a very strong one that is often tough on the veins.  By the one that was a 6 this morning, I felt as if my arm was on fire - it was itching and burning all over the arm, not just at the site of the IV.  An inspection of my arm showed redness.  My checks were red as well and my breasts and stomach were also red.  Since I am on 2 antibiotics and the steroids, it was a several hour ordeal to figure out which one they thought was causing the reaction.  I think we got it figured out, though, and my next round of IVs was much less painful.  They did have to move my IV site though - the one on the left arm was burning with just the saline drip, so they determined that my vein had been through all it wanted to take.

I met with a social worker today (she meets with all families who have babies going into the NICU to explain their role and how they help).  I also met with a lactation consultant.  She has assured me that she thinks the presence of the colostrum means that I will definitely be able to breastfeed and she is going to work with me to help get my milk production to a maximum over those first few days.  I have a website to look at tonight to learn about manually expressing as well.

My mom has decided to come up for the birth.  She left at 2 this afternoon and is making the long trek all by herself.  I am very glad she has decided to come.  I know that it will mean a lot to both of us for her to be able to be here to meet her grandson shortly after his birth.

I guess that is it for now...I will try to keep you all updated as I can.  Wish us luck and send us some prayers!

P.S. - Just in case you were wondering, NO, we still haven't picked a middle name.  Nothing like waiting for the last minute, huh?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like things are going forward according to the most optimal plan for Carder's early arrival. I'm sorry to hear that you had an alergic reaction to the medication and hope you are feeling better. My heart sung when I heard that your mom decided to drive back to MI for the birth. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

waiting and wishing said...

Praying for a safe and healthy arrival!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Carli. I'm thinking of you!

JB said...

Can't wait for the update...best of luck, mama!

rebecca said...

Definitely sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way!!! Can't wait to hear the next update!