Friday, June 28, 2013

Counting

Carder has this game he likes to play - he likes to count to 3 and then we are supposed to fake cry.  For a long time, he skipped the "one" and would just say "2 3, Mommy".  I am sure we perpetuated this dropping of the one because we would pretend to cry and then say "2 3, Carder".

We began making an effort to always say "1 2 3, Carder".  And we began making him say his one if he wanted us to cry and this has resulted in consistent use of the number one.

The week befor last, when my parents were here, we were stacking blocks and counting them.  When it came time for "6 7 8", he said the numbers in the right order with us (not after us).

This Monday, during his bath time, he decided to stick all of his bath toys down my shirt.  We took them out one at a time and counted them.  He counted to 3 and then stopped.  I said 4 and prompted for the next number.  We ran out of toys from my shirt at 7, but I still asked what came next.  And from there, he counted all the way to 10.

His pediatrician said that by age 3 children can typically count to 3.  I understand he skipped 4 so this doesn't count as all the way to 10.  And he wasn't "counting objects" for every single number  - he was just reciting the numbers.  But still, I am one proud Mommy and I think I have one smart little boy!

Edited on 7/7/13 to add:
Tonight Carder was having Quesadillas for dinner.  At one point, he began actually counting individual pieces of quesadilla (using a correct one to one ratio).  He counted all the way up to 8 before he decided that he needed to take another bite.  And he included 4.  We are super proud!

1 comment: