Thursday, April 8, 2010

Where is my Effing Ark????

And that isn't just because it has been raining today.  I has been raining absolute SHIT.  No - let's rephrase that.  It's been a fucking DELUGE.

I had to have a physical with my PCP today.  On the way into their office, I followed in a lady who was preggers (probably around 4 oR 5 months) who was smoking a cigarette as she walked past the smoke free campus sign.  I was livid.  I wanted to yell at her about the dangers of smoking while pregnant (I mean, doesn't it say that on the box???) and let her know that there were lots of women who would LOVE to be in her position and would take care of themselves.  But I decided that I would come off as the crazy IF lady, so I bit my tongue.

When I made it into the Dr's office, the nurse (and her nurse in training) started the preliminary exam.  She asked if I was still taking my thyroid medication.  I explained that I had self un-medicated for a while after our failed FET and that I had recently started taking it again.  She asked if we were still trying to concieve and I explained that while we weren't preventing, we weren't "trying" and that we were looking into adoption.

The nurse proceeded to tell me a story about someone she knows who had IVF and ended up with identical twins.  (I think to myself "Why would you tell the infertile sitting in front of you how IVF worked for someone else???  Is this salt in the wound day or something???")

THEN the nurse in training proceeds to tell me about someone she knows who did IVF and it failed and then they adopted and then (wait for it, don't spoil my surprise ending!) she got pregnant.  Maybe I should just relax and it would happen on it's own.  It is a good thing they had taken my blood pressure before this point.

So, as I sit and wait for the Doc, I contemplate telling him that he should talk to his nurses about things to say and not say to an infertile.

Enter Doc.

Doc questions the lack of taking thyroid meds and I go through the explanation again.  Doc then proceeds to tell me a story about someone he knows who had failed IVF attempts, adopted, and then got pregnant.

I decide to skip the lesson on dealing with the infertile public.

And you don't even know the worst part about this yet.  All of this happens on the same day as the cruelest joke of all
Not following me?  AF arrived.  And I think it is a pretting fucking cruel joke to make my body perform just like any other woman who can get pregnant on her own.  And to top it off?  I get that bitch every 25 days - and for those of you who don't have that fortunate situation - that translates to sometimes being 2 times in one month.  Isn't THAT a knee slapper?

Couldn't I at least catch a break and get a 30 day cycle?

Sigh...Right now I think my uterus is trying to make it's way out of my vagina.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, Carli! I don't even have words...my jaw is on the floor with the insensitivity of the nurse and the doctor. WTF!

I wish I could give you a really big hug IRL right now. I am so very, very sorry. :(

JB said...

Dude, I would have muttered something about a history of Tourette's and then rapid-fired a series of "eff-you's" and two-handed bird-flipping. What a bunch of medical morons. So sorry you had to suffer them.

Carli said...

A medical condition to explain my outbursts! I love it and will be filing that one away for the future. Thanks!!!

Spit Happens said...

I don't understand why things like that tend to come in groupings. Like you needed to have any of that happen, but for it to all happen in the same day??? WHY? i will never understand that. And that smoking pregnant lady doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged. She is a disgrace, and the poster child of women who do not value pregnancy/life and therefore do not deserve the privilege of carrying a child(in my "humble" opinion). So sorry Carli. To say your day sucked is a gross understatement.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carli. You're right: what a shitty day. I can't believe how insensitive both the nurses AND the doctor were during your visit. That takes a lot of nerve. If it had been me sitting there and listening to that, I would have been cursing up a storm!

(((hugs))) I hope today was a little brighter. You didn't deserve that.

Kerri said...

Gahh, I can't stand those "but my friend's friend's second cousin..." stories. They're so annoying and everyone has one. I'm impressed you bit your tongue. I'm sure it wasn't an easy feat!

Melissa G said...

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like to have tact and social grace, because I would have let all three of them have it...

Infact we're going to see our financial advisor next week and I know for a fact that she's going to tell me for the 16th time, "to relax", that "it'll happen"... I really like her so I doubt I'll punch her, but I am finally going tell her that me relaxing isn't going to improve Brian's sperm quality.

Oh and while I'm rambling, my last GP's nurse told me her entire family is FILLED TO THE BRIM with "fertile Myrtiles" GRRRRRRRRRRR...

Sorry you had to witness that on top of AF's cruel joke. Wish we could share a bottle of wine and laugh about it.

Hugs

MelissaP05 said...

You know I love you sweetie! I'm so sorry about your shitty day. When it rains it pours for us IFers. I hope the next few days bring you some much needed sunshine and happiness!

Lau said...

You know, I can never understand it. You'd think medical professionals of all people should know better than to make those remarks.

I am so sorry you had such a horrible day. Did you go home and beat up some pillows? Followed by a nice glass of wine? That's my prescription to put such a day behind you. Oh, and virtual hugs too...

I'm sending you a load of those to start you off...

((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Once Upon A Time said...

When everything's against you like that- all you can do is call the roof-top posse. :) Seriously though- it sounds like you should have done some educating there. What morons.

I hope you've had a load of good days since then.