Monday, December 13, 2010

9 Week Ultrasound

We made it home from Michigan late last night. (I will have another post about our trip later.)

We woke up this morning and headed to Atlanta for our 9 week ultrasound.  I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't extremely nervous.  After being involved in this community for so long, I have seen so many people find happiness only to have heartache follow shortly after.  Sometimes it is very difficult to stay positive and not to imagine the worst when you know what the worst can be.  The saying "Ignorance is Bliss"?  Well, I think there might be something to that.

I had a few moments where I teared up in fear as we prepared to leave for the appointment.  Derek assured me that he thought everything was fine.  I wasn't so sure.  I kept imagining the worst possible outcomes from this appointment.

When we got to the Dr's office, she thankfully did not waste time with small talk.  She walked in and said "let's see what we have going on in there".  She inserted the ultrasound wand, and in just a fraction of a second, our little baby materialized on the screen and I knew that I had worried for nothing.  You could easily see the difference in the previous ultrasound and this one.  Our baby has grown SO MUCH in the last 2 weeks!  You could clearly see the head, body, arms, and legs.  And it's little arms and legs were waving around!  This time I got to see the heartbeat and I remembered to ask about the beats per minute - somewhere around 140 to 150 beats per minute.



We have officially graduated to the OB's office.  I am supposed to continue taking my estrogen and progesterone through December 25 - which really isn't that far away!

I have already made our first appointment with the OB's office.  That appointment will be on December 22.  They said that the doctor may or may not want to do an ultrasound for that appointment.  I am going to see if I can convince him that he needs to do one.  I love seeing that little baby on the screen.  All day today, I looked adoringly at the picture.  It is absolutely amazing that we can already see little arms and legs moving. 

I am in love...

11 comments:

Spit Happens said...

Oh Carli, I am beyond ecstatic for you! Your baby is beautiful! I remember the 9/10 week ultrasound was so much fun because you could see the baby's little body and all the movement. It really makes it feel more real! I am just so happy for you, I can hardly even contain myself.

Ashley said...

So glad everything looked ok- what an amazing picture! Congrats!

JB said...

Hooray! My OB did an u/s at the first appointment even though I'd had 4 with my RE...that way they can establish a baseline in their practice. If you get one, you will flip your lid at the growth and progress of your baby over the next several weeks! (Also, if you elect to do integrated screening, they need to do an u/s at or around 12 weeks, anyway.)

Christmas has come early!

Angie said...

Congrats!! Your description of looking at the picture and in love reminds me of my feelings when I saw our embie pictures from our ivf cycle. Best wishes to you, I hope the next 7 months bring you baby bliss!

Melissa G said...

Big. Big. Smile plastered across my face right now. I seriously could not be more happy for you and Derek.

Kerri said...

What a beautiful little baby! I remember so clearly getting to see the little arms and legs waving around for the first time. It's such an amazing sight and it only gets better from here. I'm so thrilled for you. Congrats on "graduation"! :)

happymomof4 said...

YAY!!!! SO happy for you:)

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

What a beautiful photo! Congrats again!!!

Once Upon A Time said...

Beautiful baby picture. What a great appointment too! I'm glad you were able to get out of Michigan before the big snow storm too- I was worried about your flight!

Jamie said...

Aaawe!!! I am crying tears of happiness for you! How very sweet and lovely. Congratulations on graduating to the OB! Just so, so wonderful!

Once Upon A Time said...

Carli, can you please email me your current address? You can get my email from my blog profile page if you don't have it.