Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We Have Arrived!

We left Georgia on Thursday afternoon and arrived in our new home city in Michigan on Friday afternoon.  We got unpacked and settled in our apartment.  So far, we are really enjoying our new city.  Things have been hectic, but fun.

We have our new PO Box set up, I got the cable and the Internet hooked up today (hence the posting!!!), and now I am trying to take care of getting some of the other things that need to be accomplished when you move to a new state.

My latest task is shopping for car insurance coverage.  (Did you know that you have to transfer your insurance to a new state?  I didn't know prior to this experience.)  But, I am thinking that, especially since I don't have a job yet and our income is now more limited, this might be a good time to shop for a new insurance company to see if there is a better deal available.  Have I told you that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to car insurance?  Yeah, well, I don't.  When choosing the vehicle model from the drop down menu, I break into a sweat.  Literally.  I don't know if the vehicle is a 2.5i or a 3s.  Does it have anti theft?  Well, it does go "beep beep" when I lock it, does that count?  Are there any accidents or violations?  Yeah, we had a couple of speeding tickets.  What date and what were the violations?  Dunno.  This is tough stuff.

So, I thought I would take a break to blog.  And start dinner.  We are having roast (just like Grandma makes).

So, what else is new???

Before we left Georgia, I had another OB appointment.  Both moms joined me and got to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler.  I was a little disappointed that we didn't get another ultrasound, but I guess the days of seeing our little one at every appointment are over.  Other than hearing the heartbeat (steady and strong!  Woo Hoo!!!), it was pretty uneventful.  I have an appointment with my new OB on Monday the 17th.  I don't know what to expect at this appointment either.  I am really hoping that they will want to do an ultrasound to see how things look for the first time with them.  I can't wait to see how much our baby has grown!  I am now 13 weeks and some change and will be 14 weeks when I see the new Doctor.  When I called to schedule the appointment, the clinic I will be going to scheduled me with my new doctor because he deals with patients who have suffered from infertility.  I don't know if that means that he actually performs any ART (such as IUIs) or if he just has a better bedside manner to deal with those patients.  I hope that he will have the kind tongue and the patience necessary to deal with the "I am finally pregnant after struggling for 5 1/2 years" type of pregnant woman.  I will let you know how my appointment with him goes after the appointment.

I also need to get the most recent ultrasound picture posted for you to see (or just for posterity's sake).  Perhaps if there is another ultrasound, I can post both pics at the same time so that we can all marvel at the growth of our little one.  I also had Derek take our first "belly pic" at 12 weeks.  I am going to get him to take another one this weekend so we can compare the bel-lah and see just how much bigger it has gotten.

I am not going to make any statements regarding how I am feeling because I don't know to knock on cyberspace wood, so I won't really say anything else at this time.  Give me a couple more days and I may feel more comfortable with actually writing it down.

And now, a question.  When does the 2nd trimester "Officially" begin?  Some websites say 12 weeks, some say 13, some say 14.  WHEN is it???  Am I there yet?

9 comments:

Spit Happens said...

Well I think it technically starts at 14 weeks, but I would say at 12 you are in the clear as far as risks go with the first trimester. Sounds like an incredibly healthy pregnancy, I am soo happy for you! Glad that things are settling in and that you like the city. Hope you just continue to love it more and more!

Kerri said...

Ellie's right- 14 weeks, though 12 weeks is a common misconception. So you're just about there!!!!

I am so with you on the shopping for car insurance thing. I would have no idea where to begin. Things like that stress me out.

And I know having far fewer ultrasounds is hard to deal with. I was so used to them at the RE's office that I was shocked when my OB only wanted to listen to the heartbeat on the doppler. Unfortunately, after switching to the OB, I only had 2 ultrasounds the rest of my pregnancy: one at my very first OB appt and another at 20 weeks (the "big" one). So, just be prepared for very few more peeks at your little one. It sucks. But hearing the heartbeat each time never gets old. Glad both moms got to hear it.

Anna said...

Glad you made it there okay! :)

Melissa G said...

14 weeks sounds safe. 40 divided by 3 is 13.333... So there you go. (Not having been here myself YET, a mathematical solution is all I have to offer)

But woo hoo! Welcome to your new home and almost second tri!

JB said...

Welcome to Michigan! And to the snowy tundra.

Once you hit 13 weeks, every day after that is 13-plus, which means it is seond trimester...at least that's how I looked at it. Either way, you're movin' on up. Stretchy waistbands, here you come!

Jamie said...

Awesome that you are off to such a great start and enjoying your new hometown! You sound so much better in your post (despite the car insurance shopping--yuck). I wish you all the best with your new doctor, too!

Holly said...

Shopping for car insurance: I stressed and hated shopping around for it, too, then I finally got a tip from my Dad:

Call an agency that represents a majority of the insurance companies and let them do all the work FOR you. You just give them the info about your vehicle (I just faxed my agent the old policies with the $$ whited out) and let he do all the work.

What's really nice about that is when you get a price increase, you can always have them shop it around all the companies again for the best rate every renewal. IT has made it SOOO much easier. :)

Also, if they are full service, they can help with life, etc...

WannabeMommy said...

I would say you're safely into the second trimester, but then again, I thought it was OK to eat shellfish (till a friend of mine almost bit my head off!)

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about cars. They stress me out. I hope you got it all figured out. That is pretty cool that that one doc does all the if people. Hope the move is continuing to go well.