Monday, March 21, 2011

Our First Gender Specific Baby Purchases and The Registry

I am sure that I am like most expectant mothers who have struggled with infertility, I haven't really let myself dream too much about what to buy for the baby - I don't even have a nursery theme decided upon yet!  Don't get me wrong, I have done some online browsing, but I think I was afraid to let myself believe that this is really happening.

But, time is passing quickly.  I am now 23 weeks pregnant.  My friends and family in Georgia have been planning a baby shower for me.  I actually booked my plane ticket for the flight into Atlanta this past Friday.  And this week, it has become apparent that it is time for us to start preparing the nursery and creating a baby registry.

This last week, instead of just looking at the baby clothing with longing, I made a couple of purchases.  I bought a set of outfits for each of us - one that proclaims that he is "Daddy's Best Friend" and one that states that he is "Bananas for Mommy".

So now, it is time to start registering.  I am quite disappointed that the local big box stores don't really have a great selection in stock to choose from and that I will need to set up a lot of our registry online.  In addition, if I want to register at the big name store, it is 2 1/2 hours away from us.

I think that I will try to start our registries at both places online this week.  And then I am hoping that perhaps next weekend we can travel to the store to fill in the holes in person and to ask questions about some of the larger items.

Does anyone have any good selections on where to buy the crib?

And, for those of you who are already mothers - were there any items that you got that you couldn't have lived without that I should make sure to register for?

Car Seat/Stroller Advice?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

8 comments:

JB said...

Online registries offer more selection, as long people who will attend the showers are internet-savvy. Check Amazon or other sites that allow you to register at multiple stores through the same site. Wish I had thought of it! I registered at Target and BrU (the usual suspects) but also at Land of Nod (Crate and Barrel's kid store). Similar to Pottery Barn Kids, it's a little spendy but they have the CUTEST stuff and lots of organic clothes and toys.

Carseat: we have a Chicco Keyfit 30, which I think has the highest safety rating on the market right now. You can purchase it with a stroller as a pair (a "travel system"). If you are a 2-car family, I recommend buying an extra carseat base (the base stays in the car via the latch system, and the carseat just locks into place when you set it in the base). The base was way easy to install and has a level on it so you know when it's sitting correctly. Also, it stays rear-facing for up to 30 lbs (the new recommendation, recently released form the Amer Coll Ped, is rear-facing until 2 years old or 20 lbs). This carseat does not go front-facing, so you have to buy another one after 2 yrs/20 lbs. (An alternative option is to buy a convertible carseat that can be flipped around to front-facing, but these may not be as handy when the baby is small, in terms of carrying around by a handle or sitting atop a stroller, etc.) Personally, I'm fine with buying a new carseat in 1-2 years because the safety guidelines and specs keep changing anyway.

Must haves:
-comfortable and convenient diaper bag (not too heavy, not too many small useless compartments)
-breast pump (insurance may pay for some or all, I have the Medela Pump in Style; I was going to wait but when the milk came in HOLY SHIT I needed to start pumping to relieve the pressure)
-small cache of newborn and size 1 diapers and wipes (you don't know which size you'll need at first)
-sleep-and-play pajamas (aka footie pajamas; socks don't say on their feet and the zip-up footies are the BEST THING EVER for diaper changes/naps)
-Swaddle Me velcro swaddles (they fit nice and snug and are easy to use) and/or Woombie swaddles (zip-up, also easy to use but let the baby bring his hands together if he likes to do that)
-a few bottles (just in case you need to supplement, or decide to do some bottle feedings early on); there are lots of choices that all have pros/cons
-white noise machine (of any sort); babies love this and it helps soothe them; there's a toy called the Sleep Sheep you can velcro on to the crib, a swing, carseat, etc. which is neat, or just any old nature sounds machine (we still use white noise at night to help keep the baby asleep)
-Unsexy practical stuff like a bottle brush, bottle drying rack, diaper changing pad covers, etc.

Things you probably DON'T need:
-toys; he won't be interested in toys for months
-"outfits"; a hassle with all the diaper changes, feedings, and spitups; pajamas and onesies are the way to go
-fancy devices like bottle warmers or wipe warmers; they are breeding grounds for bacteria and totally not necessary (you can warm a bottle just as fast with a mug full of hot tap water, or water from a tea kettle, and the wipes don't need to be warm, just room temp is fine)
-fancy breastfeeding pillow; I have a Boppy and I actually like it, but you could use ANY pillow the same way
-pacifier, only because they'll give you one at the hospital

Despite the ridiculous length of the this comment, I'm sure I'm forgetting lots. Feel free to email me with questions, I'm glad to help a new mama!

JB said...

I posted a hella long comment loaded with new mama advice, but it seems to have vanished. Feel free to email me with any questions, recommendations, etc.! Happy to help!

happymomof4 said...

We finished our registry this past weekend, it's a little overwhelming to say the least! We ordered our crib from Target.com just because it was the crib I wanted a good price.
Stroller/ car seat we did the travel combo (where you get them together). This will be our third stroller- the first one was a graco and it was okay, we got the car seat that went with it etc... Then our next stroller was a double stroller graco again and now we have registered for a different stroller/ carseat combo (our first single stroller broke, carseat is expired- yes they have expiration dates! and we no longer need the double stroller). We decided to go with the triangle handle type carseat because it it easier to carrier! It is so hard to pick one, especially when reading reviews. Wish you all the best, if there is anything else I can help with let me know!!!

Alie said...

I still feel guilty that I didn't "connect" with Kennedy for a long time. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

The best advice I have about car seats and strollers is to try them out in the store. They come in varying weights/sizes and have varying weight and height limits. I love my travel system, but it is bulky and heavy and probably not for everyone. I also bought a ring sling and enjoyed a little bit of "baby wearing" until Kennedy got too heavy. Babies R us has a great checklist of items to register for. It's pretty extensive. You won't need everything on the list, but it will give you an idea of what's right for you and make it just a little bit less overwhelming.

Kim said...

We went to a baby/ birthing class. I learned alot from it. I can say that the most important thing I took from it was: 1.) Don't over load on newborn clothes and diapers. As most are for babies less than 8 lbs and will be out grown too quickly. We ended up havng to go out and buy some, as our little one was little. However, most of our friend had left over diapers. 2.) DO NOT register nor buy infant/baby bath (like Johnson and Johnson.) Use Dove (white) bar soap. The infant/baby bath dries out the skin way too much.(This is coming from the nurse who did the class.) Dove has mostirizers in the bar. (I did and still so use the baby shampoo.)
Mittens never stay on, I heard that socks plaed on the hands work just as well. (I never tried it though.) Humidifer is a good thing to get. We didn't get one, and had to buy one when she was a few months old bc she had gotten sick and the doc recommeded it.
We bought th egraco travel system. (car seat and stroller combo.) I still use th stroller or my 20 month old.
You cannever have enough diapers!! I also recommend Kirland (Costco) brand baby wipes!! They are excellent! You get 900 per box for a great price. The wipes have a closable top, sotheyare pefect for the diaper bag.

Kim said...

I meant my comment to say that I use the Dove soap to wash her body with and baby shampoo (bc it is tear free) for her hair. Sry if I confused you.

Ashley said...

We bought our crib/nursery furniture on sale from Toys R Us and I bought my gender-neutral bedding from Diapers.com. Be sure to compare prices online on the bedding. I just got in our Chicco stroller/car seat and love them- but obviously haven't been able to try them out yet. I'm going to use disposable diapers and everyone I've polled votes for Pampers. As for other must-haves, I hear the Miracle Blanket really works miracles.

Gil said...

One item that I wish I had but didn't was a wipes warmer. On a tiny baby's new skin, those wipes always seemed too cold to me so I'd try to warm them in my hand before touching baby's bottom with it. Looking back, I do wish I had one. That is, if you decide to do wipes at all. For quite awhile, I made a solution in a spray bottle and used thin baby cloths to wipe Petite during diaper changings.

The other piece of advice for you: don't buy any bedding sets. Here's why... the comforter/blanket shouldn't be used with a newborn or young infant anyway for fear of suffocation. Also, crib bumpers are not advised; in fact, here in Canada, Health Canada (along with the Canadian Paediatric Society and the American Academy of Pediatrics) states that they are dangerous and advises parents-to-be NOT to use them. Babies can suffocate in them if they roll and can't roll back; babies usually have less oxygen circulation with bumper pads on the crib; and older children will squish them down and try to use them as leverage to climb out of the crib. All you need is a crib sheet (and if you wish, a bedskirt). So buy the pieces separately until your little one is old enough to warrant a blanket/comforter.

Wishing you all the luck in the world as you navigate the path and pitfalls of baby purchases!