Thursday, March 24, 2011

Responses to "The Scarlet Letter" Post

Thank you to those of you who commented on my last post.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments...After reading some of your comments, I realized that I probably should have said a couple more things in that post.

The first one is that I have always been open about our infertility.  Probably to a fault.  I have never hid our struggles to have a child from anyone - and for a while - I felt like the only thing that defined me WAS our infertility.

Now that we have moved to our new city, there aren't many people I know.  And, I haven't used our infertility journey as a conversation starter (nor do I plan to in the future...).  BUT, to the people that I have met, I still have not shied away from sharing how we got here.  And I don't plan on changing this.  I feel it is important to keep sharing our story just in case it helps someone deal with their journey.

And the truth is - I really was planning on saying something to her about how we got here - just in case.  But the Pampered Chef lady started the presentation and I didn't want to rudely talk over her.  I thought I would have an opportunity before the party ended - and that opportunity just didn't come.

I have actually considered trying to track this woman down.  My current internal debate is whether or not she will think I am NUTS for tracking her down just to tell her that we had a hard time conceiving.  If she has struggled, then we will find a common bond and will perhaps become fast friends.  If not, well...

As far as the Scarlet Letter - I am aware of the Common Thread of Infertility.  My good friend Katie actually made me a bracelet a couple of years ago and I proudly wore it every single day - until it broke.  I actually have the thread in the basement in my crafting supplies and now that we are getting more settled in the house, I am considering making a new one to wear.

But if this woman is suffering in silence, she probably wouldn't have been aware of what the bracelet even stood for...

Anyway, I have to go to work - I just wanted to throw those thoughts out there...

No comments: