OK, so I know it has been a while since I last posted. I am a bad, bad blogger. It isn't that I haven't had anything to say - I have started to post several times - but I just haven't put my thoughts down on paper, er, Internet...This post will be a conglomeration of thoughts and subjects...
First of all - perhaps the biggest news in our lives right now - Cancer. About 7 or 8 weeks ago, my mother in law was diagnosed with Cancer. Luckily, it is a very slow progressing cancer. During the first PET scan, a second suspicious spot was noted in her chest area. Rather than beginning treatment, she was asked to have a second PET scan 6 weeks later. This PET scan was completed last week and the spot in her chest has disappeared. This means that the mysterious spot was not cancer and that she does not have to undergo the more rigorous treatment. The treatment would be localized radiation. She also has the option to "do nothing" at this time since the cancer is so slow growing. We are waiting to hear what her decision is - but knowing my MIL, she will choose to have the radiation and err on the side of caution. I do not intend to influence her decision in any way, but I think I would take the treatment if it were me. At any rate, Derek and I (and his family) are dancing a happy dance over this wonderful news.
The second biggest news - the "project" we have going on at our house right now. Derek and I have lived in our house for 3 years now. Over this time, we have remodeled quite a bit. We noticed that our front stoop - the area outside our front door that is covered - has been sinking. We decided it was time to make this update before the covered portion broke off. We also are trying to deal with some water leakage in our basement and needed a small retaining wall installed. So, we knew that this was not something we could DIY and we called in the pros. We had several quotes - found out that our large retaining wall was failing and it also needed replaced - and long story short, this has turned into a hefty project. Work commenced last week. Our new retaining wall is in and has been backfilled, our front stoop is out and is being rebuilt. They found termite damage behind the old front stoop. Typical project for us. But, things are starting to shape up and I am excited to see the changes that are happening. Maybe I will post some pictures later.
I have been having a lot of headaches lately and have a migraine, so I stayed home from work today - called in Sick. Not that I could sleep much after the work outside started...Bang, bang, back up beeping noise, etc...But at least I took my meds and the pain has eased up. (I am not feeling the need to vomit anymore and the pain is only a dull roar at the moment - which probably explains why I am posting). However, I took my last migraine pill this morning. I called for a refill and the nurse says they won't refill it unless I have been seen by the Dr. recently. Say WHAT? So I asked (as calmly as possible since my head was throbbing and I was fighting nausea at the moment) just WHY I had to see the Dr. Her response? For a check up. To have my BP and such tested. Really lady? I have been in a Dr's office and had more than my share of visits in this last year. I have been put to sleep 2 times for egg retrievals. My BP and every other freaking part of me has been tested, poked, and prodded. I think I am fairly healthy - other than the fact that I am infertile. But I guess that doesn't all count since it wasn't my PRIMARY physician. So I am going today to see the Dr. at 4 so that I can get my freakin' refill. I think I will try to make my visit worthwhile and get her to review my allergies and make sure there is no infection brewing in there. I think I might also explain to them that this type of visit is possibly why HEALTHCARE COSTS ARE OUTRAGEOUS!!! Anyway...
In TTC news, I personally have nothing to report. I do have some wonderful news in regards to a friend of mine from the BBC - after over 3 years of trying, Katie and Jake are expecting their first child/children!!!! Congratulations!!! Although it seemed touch and go at the beginning, their IVF was a success. I am hoping and praying for a happy and healthy pregnancy for them. I have another friend from the BBC who also just completed her first IVF - Lau. I am sending her all of the good vibes that I can for her to get positive results as well. Good Luck Lau!
4 comments:
Carli, I'm so glad everything turned out better with your MIL. I can also understand the remodeling of your house. We've been remodeling since the day we moved into ours, 2 years ago. I think it's nice to have a project going, just to keep busy. I'm sorry about all your migraines, but I completely understand about one doctor not talking to the other doctor. I can't remember how many times I've had to go to my GP for something, even though my GYN had already looked at it. Health care certainly needs some improvement. Anyway, start feeling better really soon. Love ya bunches. :-)
I'm so glad you posted. I'm happy that things seem to be going well with your MIL. Please keep us updated about what she ends up doing.
It does sound like you have a lot going on at your house right now! We did a lot when we first moved in 3 years ago, but unfortunately the $ has gone elsewhere since then and we haven't done much since then. I would love to see pics!
I am sorry about your migrane, but I'm glad you are feeling better. Looking at it a different way, now you are home to hear about Lau instead of waiting until after work! Thanks for putting me in yoru post too. Love you!
Wow, close call with your MIL. I think I would want to follow up with radiation too. She sounds like a strong lady!
Ugh, don't you hate all the formalities DR.'s offices put you through sometimes?! And they usually have no compassion for your urgency on top of all that. I'm sorry about your Migranes. They are NO fun. I get really bad sensitivity to light.
Anyway, hope you'll be feeling better soon! Good to see a post from you!
Carli - I have dealt with migraines since I was 12 and can relate to the frustration when the doctor or nurse acts like it's not a big deal if you go for a certain amount of time without the meds. Obviously they don't have migraines or they would understand! And yes, you've spent PLENTY of time with doctors in the last few years. Give me a break!
So sorry to hear about your MIL but also happy that everything looks like it's turning out ok. It's always scary to hear the word "cancer" no matter how advanced it is.
DH and I are major DIYers and pretty much everything we do to the house is a project on our own or with the help of his dad. Sometimes it can get really overwhelming when you're in the midst of it but is so satisfying when it's all done and you know you've completed something yourself.
I'm so glad you posted again. Love you tons!
Post a Comment