I realize that I haven’t blogged about this – hell, I haven’t really talked about it much. But I guess in order to say what I want to say, I need to explain the changes I have made in my prayers first.
I have stopped praying for God to bless us with a pregnancy. I think I have prayed for it long enough now that he knows what is in my heart and I determined that I am not strong enough to be able to give up on my dreams of carrying my child. So I am now praying for healing - that God will help me come to a place where I can look at other people who have been blessed with a child and not feel bitterness and resentment; that He will replace that with the joy that I used to feel before this whole infertility journey broke my spirit and took so much of my happiness away from me. I am praying now that He will take away the pain I feel when I think about the fact that although I have the parts and I have ALWAYS had the desire to create, carry, birth and love a child; it just doesn't seem to be in His plan for my life. I am praying for understanding why He would give me this desire that is so large that it consumes me - constantly in my thoughts, my feelings, my dreams - but not bless me with this child.
I know, I know. Before you even say it.
A part of me feel s like praying for healing is like giving up on our little embryo before we even try to transfer it. But another part of me says that if I don’t prepare myself for failure, that if our FET is yet another failed attempt I need to have my heart ready to accept that possibility.
And I also know that maybe His intentions are for me to be the mother of someone else's child. But I know that my heart will need some healing to prepare me for that option. I changed my prayers because I realized that every time I would think of the fact that I may never have my own biological child, my chest would aches with pain and tears would fall from my eyes – the pain so great that it would often shake my faith. So, I changed my prayers.
So far, God seems to be listening and answering some of my prayers. It isn’t something that has changed overnight. I have gradually felt this pain easing away. For instance, I went to the park for a workout with Derek and I came across several mothers with young children. I smiled and didn’t feel the stabbing pain in my chest. We went to a concert and were surrounded by families – mothers, fathers, and their children – and it was surprisingly pain free. After the “Tear Fest” when I realized that I needed to change what I was praying for, I don’t think I have cried over my own personal loss. So, things are looking up.
This is also evidenced in today’s events. I have a co-worker who is not the most educated man and the family is not what you would consider to be outstanding citizens. A couple of years ago, his teenage son became a father. He walked into my office today and shut the door and confided in me that his 15 year old daughter just informed him that she is expecting. He is (understandably) devastated. I tried to be supportive and listen. I didn’t get upset and cry and (although it did not evade me completely) the crushing pain in my chest was only there momentarily. I feel sorry for the girl – she was the one who he hoped would get somewhere in life. And here she is, becoming a mother already.
I am still waiting on the guidance regarding our next step. Perhaps he is holding out on that one until the results of the FET are known. I have still been doing some soul searching though.
I am worried that if we do donor embryos, the time will be a big factor for me. The wait is 6 months to a year before you even attempt. Perhaps that time would fly by quickly. I mean, the 3 months wait for the FET seems to have flown by. But the time frame is the real drawback for me. What if THAT doesn’t work? We already wasted a year waiting to try and then 6 weeks for each attempt and the waiting time in between… We could easily have another 1 ½ years pass and still not be parents. Then you would have to tack on however long it takes for the adoption process…
So then I think about adoption. I have my moments when I think that adopting wouldn't be so bad and I think perhaps we should skip the donor embryos and just move forward with that option. I can see how it would fill the hole in my heart and my empty arms. But I also realize that isn't a journey that neither one of us are fully ready to embark upon and I think we both need to be 100% sure that is something we are comfortable with before we move forward.
And then I start to worry that BOTH of us will never be there 100% and that my arms will always be empty and that this hole will always be in my heart.
One other thing that I want to mention – for the last several months, I have been trying to avoid discussing our infertility. I had begun to feel like it consumed our lives and our marriage and that IF was all that we were. I didn’t want for that to be the only thing we talked about, so I typically avoid it like the plague. My friend Jamie from BBC came to stay with us this past weekend. (That deserves a post of its own). Anyway, Jamie sent me an email today – and here is an excerpt of that email:
“…I also wanted to share that I enjoyed seeing you and Derek together as a couple. I think you are both more than the infertility, more so than you realize. You are both loving, sweet, and attentive to each other. There is an ease and a flow with how you work together and smile together. You both seem to enjoy cooking, food, movies, and the Georgia mountains together. It was only a weekend, so I am sure there is so much more that is shared between you and that depth is evident. I am so happy for you both in the life you share together.”
So Jamie, thank you so much for telling me that even though you know our struggles and even though they were discussed in person, you can see so much more in our relationship than just the infertility woes. It means a lot to me to know that.
6 comments:
Wow Carli,
What a beautiful post. Your prayer is so inspiring. I've worried lately that IF was too often the main topic of converstaion that came out of my mouth with Brian. I've been worried that it is taking a toll on him. You know I'm not super religious, but I am going to use your prayer and do some meditating with it in addition.
I am in awe of your strength. I think we've all felt trapped by the resentment that grows when you can't fufill this dream. And the funny thing is that it seems easier to seek the peace than to supress the frustration. It's just a harder option to see sometimes.
I'm so glad that you and Jamie were able to spend a little time together. She is one amazing lady. (as are you of course!)
As far as your next steps towards a family. I will say that I didn't start to feel good about donor until I put myself knee deep in information about it. Maybe you can pursue both at the same time and see where it leads you. Maybe it will be the fastest option and maybe it will be the one that feels right. But keep trying. Someday, Someway.
Love you.
Carli, I don't think you are giving up at all. I truly think once I stopped praying FOR a baby and to BE pregnant and focused my prayer and faith on accepting God's plan as being the best thing for me was when plans were set in motion to fulfill my deepest desires. I've been mulling over a faith story post on my blog for a while, but just haven't had time to put enough effort into it to do it justice. Even during the IVF, I prayed that God would give us only what we could handle and put faith in that- nothing more. The truth is, I was really at peace with things before beginning our IVF.
Is there any chance this that 15 year old would put the baby up for adoption? I have read some amazing blogs lately where once they got into a good mindset following failed IVFs that private adoptions seemed to fall into their laps. Reading those blogs helped strength my belief that God has a plan already laid out- we just don't know what it is yet. Don't worry about not feeling ready for adoption yet. I hd no doubt that if that is the right path for you, some day you will be ready. But you DO have many other paths that are still open to you.
I think often how sad I am that I don't have any frozen embryos, but not for us- I am sad that I cannot follow through on what I said months ago. If we had any Carli, know that I could not find a more wonderful couple to give them to. So for that, I am really sorry.
I was wondering why your text mentioned Jamie- and now I know why! I am so glad you two were able to spend the weekend together. IF may have taken a lot away from us- but it has also brought us many things that would not be possible without it, especially some one-of-a-kind friendships.
I'll second Melissa's love you, too!
Carli, that was so beautiful! Gosh, made me tear up. You really do amaze me. It makes me realize how petty I've been over things lately. You've given me alot of perspective and I only hope that I'll be able to follow in your footsteps in some way to reconnect with God. If you can do it, then so can I. You're the best. I hope one day I get the chance to meet you and give you a big hug! Love ya bunches :-)
Thank you for your comments. This post was something that I mulled over for quite some time now. I am glad that of touched some of you.
As far as the possible adoption of the 15 yr old's baby, that is out of the question. It would be entirely TOO wierd. The guy gives me the creeps as it is - I worry that some day he is going to show up when I am at home alone - and I'd really be worried if I had his biological grandchild. KWIM?
Carli - This was so beautifully written and I am so incredibly impressed by your perspective on this situation. The way you are coping is always what I was aiming for during my battle with IF. I always wanted to come to a place where I could simply pray for peace during the messiness of IF. I continued to struggle though and I don't know if I ever truly in my heart came to that place. Like the other girls I am completely in awe of your perspective and I am SO glad you shared. It just shows even further what an amazing and strong person you are. I'm glad that some of the pain is getting better, that is a miracle for sure considering all you've been through! Love you!!!
Love you Carli! Your post was so touching and came so much from the bottom of your heart. I hope you have been finding that comfort of healing. You are an amazing woman! Glad I could help, as you have helped me so much this year!!!
Post a Comment