I guess I didn't realize I had left you all hanging in regards to our though process in my last post until I read all of your comments. So sorry about that.
I do have to say that I am TOTALLY touched that my IF friends submitted suggestions based on where they live. It is nice to be loved. :o)
Our requirements were that the location would preferably usable water (a beach, maybe), a quaint downtown area - we would like to buy a house downtown and be able to walk/ride our bikes to activites, plenty of things to do in the community, and a lot of outdoor activities.
Some of our top contestants were:
Sonoma County (probably Santa Rosa), California
Asheville, North Carolina
Charelston, South Carolina
A city along the Western Edge of Michigan
Maui Hawaii (a pipe dream really)
And the winner is....
MICHIGAN (Katie guessed it!!!)
We have thought long and hard about this and Michigan won for many reasons.
The first is Lake Michigan with their sandy beaches and the many natural lakes in the state. Many of the small lakes have bike paths around them. There are dunes to be hiked. The small towns have tons of festivals and activities. There is a nice wine region. And they have snow. Lots of snow.
Now, I can admit that I am a bit freaked out about "living" in the snow instead of just visiting it, but the idea of being able to do something fun outside during the winter (ski, snowmobile, sled, etc) seems like a nice change of pace. I would much rather have 20 and snow than 39 and rain (which is a normal Georgia winter).
In addition to all of that, Derek's family lives in Michigan. We have lived near my family for 6 years now and it would be nice to live closer to his family for a while. We have picked out a city as our possible new home, but nothing is concrete at the moment.
I can't say I don't have my moments in which I panic about the big change. I can say, though, that I am actually sincerely looking forward to it. I think that starting over somewhere new will be a great adventure as a couple.
8 comments:
Is there a VITA program in Michigan???
Michigan! I live outside of the Metro Detroit area, and we head out to Saugatuck (Michigan's "Left Coast") in the summer. Yay! You're close to the water, close to Chicago....you'll love it! (Except for the snow, but you'll get used to that...)
That's so exciting! I look forward to reading all about your move and whatever town you decide to pick. Make sure that you pack a snow shovel! :)
DAMN IT!!! I mean - I'm so happy for you!
Okay fine, if you're not going to move here, you need to at least visit!
Good for you for being so brave and starting over in a new state. And it will be fantastic to have Derek's family near by.
As always I want nothing but the best for you. Hugs.
P.S. There is an award waiting for you on my blog.
Michigan is awesome, as you know with Derek's family being there! I can't wait to hear more as the adventure unfolds and I wish you both the best! I hope it brings more joy and fulfillment than you ever could have imagined!
I have Yooper family up north! And Michigan is just two states over from PA! :)
You sound so excited to be making this change, and I am SO HAPPY for you! What a great way to start anew, with life and dealing with IF!
I have never been to Michigan - I bet the summers are really nice there, but I know there is no possible way I could do the winters! I have been complaining about the highs in the 40s!!!
Can't wait to hear more details!
Fabulous!
Changes are always a bit scary but it's that adrenaline that makes them exciting at the same time.
I'm sure having family nearby will make things go even smoother.
I'm so happy for you! And I too look forward to updates on the move.
Wow, you're starting 2010 with big projects. I like it! :-)
Wohoo! Do I win a prize? (I guess my prize is that you get to be closer to me!) You'll survive the winters- it really is pretty, although it drags on forever. I am so excited for you! Once everything gets underway and you get settled, we'll have to see about meeting up!
Post a Comment