You, my faithful readers, may have noticed that in the last few weeks, this blog has included no posts related to our progress on adoption. That is because there has been None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. And I feel that I owe you all an explanation.
I have not blogged about this - I don't know why I have been so hesitant. Perhaps because I am afraid someone at the job that I hate will stumble across my blog and they will learn of my plan? Perhaps because I am afraid that my mother (who I gave the address of my blog to but I don't think she has ever pulled it up to read it - but that probably deserves a post all of it's own - but I digress) will read this post and freak out. Perhaps it is because I just don't know how to say it.
For the past year or so, Derek and I have been feeling trapped. Trapped by the jobs we hate. Trapped by the house that was meant to be an "investment". Trapped by the town in which we live. Trapped by our infertility. Trapped. Trapped. Trapped. We have discussed, at length, how we would love to pack up and move somewhere else. Somewhere new. Somewhere that offers the lifestyle that we want to live and where we could just start over. I know, moving somewhere new won't change my fertility status and it won't make a baby magically appear. But at least it will give us a fresh start. By selling this house and moving away from here, we have the opportunity that perhaps Derek can take a much less stressful job and that, as a couple, we can be better parents to our future children that we can't produce on our own.
Well, here lies the conundrum. The adoption process can take a long time. For some people, it can take a couple of years. When you are dreaming of moving somewhere else, you have to ask yourself "Do I really want to get started in this process that can take years and tie us to this place we dislike for even longer?" We have been trying to figure out how we could start the process here and finish it in a different state and that was our plan.
But then, the misery with certain parts of our lives here grew larger and some incertainty about Derek's job came into the picture. I began to worry about the extra stress on Derek to try to stick it out here and start the process. I started to worry about what moving mid-stream would do to the time line. Did I really want to go through all of the work to get started in Georgia just to have to repeat all of the work in the new state? And what if we were matched with a BM who got freaked out by our move in the middle? All of the what if's started to worry me. BIG TIME.
So I sat DH down and we discussed an "exit strategy". I told him that if we were serious about making this change, that I thought we should start planning for it now and move towards reaching that - set ourselves some goals and a timeline. And we agreed to put the adoption on hold for a couple of months. I am still looking at agencies and if we happened to find a BM that we could adopt independently from, we would still go for it if the situation was right. But I am not tying us to this place any longer.
We were wanting to finish up a couple of items in the house so that we can maximize our profit when we sell this place. So we are now one room away from having the main level of the house finished. We thought we might make some touch ups to the garage. We are going to replace the flooring in the basement and give it a paint job. And then we are going to list the house and hope for a quick sale.
We also wanted to stick it out until a set date in the future because it was more beneficial with Derek's job to reach that date. That date is quickly approaching.
Our thoughts are that if the house sales, we will have some cash to fall back on and we can move to our new location and find a place to rent. We can find ourselves some jobs and look for a house to buy. And once we get settled, we can sign up with the agency of choice.
So there you have it. The truth about why we haven't really made any progress...Recently, I have been thinking (more times that I care to admit) that living our lives would be so much easier if we didn't have to plan it around how to procure a child. Why can't we just have a baby the old fashioned way???
9 comments:
Kudos for setting big goals and a timeline! I hope it all goes according to plan.
Carli thank you so much for keeping us posted. I think moving somewhere else and starting over is a wonderful idea. Stephen and I picked up and moved to Arizona in the midst of our infertility. I never got pregnant in Arizona but I have wonderful memories of being there. We rented a house with a pool and I soaked up the sun and took a dip almost every day that we were there as it was sunny and warm pretty much every day. I took up mountain biking (which Stephen is already a pro at) and we did so many fun things. I still look back on that time as one of the best times of my life despite the heartache of infertility. It just helped to be somewhere new, where we didn't really know anyone and could start over again. I hope everything falls into place and you can make this change. I think it would be wonderful for both of you. Do you have a place in particular that you have in mind to move? Colorado is a wonderful state ;)
Wow Carli, that is a lot to keep in. But I don't blame you for keeping it quiet until you had a better idea of what your plan would be.
And it makes perfect sense to put the adoption stuff on hold until you relocate. Might I suggest Northern California? =)
Sometimes a fresh start is just what you need. I'm excited for you. Are you going to tell us which states you're considering? I saw Ellie mentioned Colorado...how about North Carolina?? :)
A new start! How exciting!
As I was reading your post it reminded me of the one you wrote about boxing your infertility. Even though I know you, unfortunately, won't magically get pregnant as you say, a move in a way is a fresh start. And who knows what wonderful things await you and Derek?
We always tend to expect the worse when we take big leaps because the unknown can be scary but who knows, perhaps things start falling into place: better jobs, a better life together, an easier adoption?
It could happen and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Congrats and all the best!
Carli thanks for the update. I think that's a great plan. Whatever makes both of you happy is certainly the way to go. And if moving and "starting over" in a new place is what you want to do, then go for it! I'll put in my suggestion of Florida. Can't wait to hear about the things to come.
Sounds like y'all have some really big changes coming up. I hope that moving and changes will put you in a "better" place.
My vote is for Michigan (by your family) so we can finally meet in person! Sometimes a big change is exactly what is needed to get on the right track. I'm excited for the big changes you might have coming your way!
I know this has been something you guys have been thinking long and hard on and it takes a lot of strength and patience to listen to your heart and do what is best for you. A fresh start sounds awesome and I wish you all the best in your adventure!
Post a Comment