Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Randomness Thoughts of a Pregnant Woman

I havent posted in a few days, so I felt the need to post something.  Anything.  So here I am.

I am now 8 weeks pregnant (it will be 9 this Saturday, but who is counting???)  Wow.  Almost 9 weeks.  My baby is somewhere between the size of a kidney bean and the size of a grape.  It has webbed fingers and toes.  And even though I cant feel it yet, that little one is moving like crazy in there.  I still dont feel like I am pregnant like this miracle growing inside me cant quite be real and I am dreaming.  I dont know how long it takes for this feeling to go away.  Perhaps when you start showing?  Perhaps when you actually feel the baby move?  I dont know.

An update on the upchucking.  My morning sickness is really more like night sickness.  Dont get me wrong some days it is all day sickness, but most days, it hits me really hard about 5:30 or so.  I am trying to eat as healthy as I can during the first part of the day so that I am getting as much good stuff as I can while I feel like eating it.  But the nights?  Well, I am trying.  But just the thought of grilled chicken and veggies (which used to be a week night staple at my house) makes me sit in the floor on the bathroom in front of the toilet holding my head.  Literally.  After a discussion with Derek last night about what dinner would be, I spent at least 20 minutes in the bathroom trying to convince my body that it didnt want to expel my lunch that was filled with protein and veggies and whole grains and my snacks of bananas and oranges 

I am trying new things to see if there is a magic formula for what works.  As best as I can tell, the best thing for me to do is to eat as much good stuff as I can before 5.  After that, it is whatever is going to stay down.  I know that there are some people out there who probably dont agree with this.  But the way I figure it is that if I eat something that makes me throw up my healthy lunch and snacks, was it really worth the nutritional value of what I forced down at dinner?  Probably not.  When you talk to people who have recently experienced morning sickness, they say their doctors all told them that the baby was getting everything it needed from the prenatal vitamin and to eat what stayed down.  Dr. Google seems to agree.  When I go see my OBGYN on December 22, I will be sure to ask him for his professional opinion.

Lets see.  What else?  Forgetfulness!  I am making myself lists for everything these days.  I have taken to attaching post it notes to my cell phone.  I lost my keys at work today.  I almost forgot to take my Monday night shot because somehow I forgot it was Monday night.  I am forgetting to take my afternoon dose of meds (I remember, but then it is later than I wanted to take it).  I have actually thought about setting an alarm on my phone for my medications but I keep forgetting to set it.  Perhaps you guys should start buying stock in Post It.  I think their sales are about to go up.

Things are growing my girls are getting bigger (which is not a welcome site to a woman who had a breast reduction, but it is one that I can deal with if it leads to bringing home a baby).  In addition, I feel as if I am growing out in my midsection.  I dont think it is noticeable to anyone but Derek and myself at this point but I feel like my waistband is getting tighter on my pants.  I mostly notice this in my skinny pants that didnt really leave me with much room to grow.  When I wear my clothes that had a little more room or some give, things are still OK and not too tight.

My Nose.  My sense of smell is amazing me.  Some people really smell.  REALLY bad.  And I want to get out of the car at red lights and tell the person driving the car 7 cars in front of me that they should really stop smoking because it is making me want to barf.  And I could smell a can of tuna right after it was opened 2 rooms away.  And the sinuses?  Well, they are really productive.  I dont remember a time when I have had so many boogies my entire life.

We are getting close to the 5 pm witching hour, so I think I will sign off.  I will catch you peeps tomorrow when the vomit isnt on the rise.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Glad everything is going well- hope your "night sickness" goes away soon!

Em said...

The smelling people and boogies comment made me laugh! Because I am having that same symptoms but just a few weeks ahead of you. LOL! Hang in there a couple more weeks and you will be feeling better soon.

Melissa G said...

Cute post, thanks for the update!

Wow, almost 9 weeks already?!

Alie said...

I'm so excited to read your updates! I hope no one is giving you crap about what you're eating. You're doing great, hun. And try not to worry about not "feeling" pregnant yet. It will come, slowly, and tormentingly ;)

Kerri said...

Even at my 20 week "big" ultrasound, I still didn't really feel pregnant. I wasn't showing much and I hadn't really felt much movement yet. But then, seeing the baby in so much detail at the ultrasound & knowing the gender-- well, I definitely left feeling pregnant. I bet you'll be the same way.

I'm glad you're doing well (minus the night sickness). Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

ahhh, the night sickness! i've had it, too - i'm 13 weeks now and it's JUST starting to subside. i think you have the right philosophy (i can say that because it's mine, too:)) - i tried to eat as well as i could until about 4PM and then just kind of either didn't eat or ate and realized throwing up was probably going to happen. the doctor said to do what i could and not to worry as the baby's nutritional needs are so small at this point. glad you are doing well - everyone tells me that sickness = healthy baby. i tried to keep that in mind as i was throwing up my lunch two days ago! also - zofran helped tons - i take it every morning. dr said it was safe and i'm SO not a drug taker and it freaked me out. but i think it would have taken me forever to regain weight i lost in those first few weeks of throwing up everyday without it. congratulations!

Jamie said...

I'm sorry about your "night sickness." I think you have a good plan to eat the healthy stuff early in the day and whatever goes down at night. As much as you are really feeling awful with it all, I hope you feel some sense of empowerment in finding a pattern in the situation so that you can take care of you in the best way.

And I think even if you don't know what to post, what you have posted describes your journey and where you are right now. And wow, I can't believe it is almost 9 weeks!

Spit Happens said...

Yes, eat whatever you can get down! I had morning sickness (afternoon/evening sickness like yours) the ENTIRE pregnancy. It sucked big time. I just age whatever I thought had the best chance of not coming back up again, even though practically everything did anyway. The wonderful thing is your body just knows how to take whatever you put in your stomach and use it, even if some of it still comes back up again. I still managed to gain 25 lbs during my pregnancy even though I puked about 5 times a day until 17 weeks and then about once a day until the 3rd trimester, then about every other day or every few days after that. Wow, I'm so encouraging huh? haha. I'm sure yours will not last nearly as long!