The brink of death was more like it. Last Tuesday, I came down with the stomach flu. It was HORRIBLE. If you skip the TMI portion, I don't blame you. Regardless, know that I did call the OBGYN and that I was following all of their instructions even if they aren't all spelled out here.
**********Beginning of TMI portion of Post**********
Seriously. Don't read this if you don't want to be grossed out. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Monday, I began experiencing diarrhea. This isn't unusual for me as I have IBS. Tuesday afternoon I was exhausted. I wanted to take a nap so badly. By Tuesday night, I was feeling pretty rough. Diarrhea was in full force and was no longer even remotely similar to "normal". When Derek went to take the dogs out at bedtime, I decided it was time to visit the facilities again. While taking care of #2, I began to feel
Since Derek is working and I am still not, I decided to spend the night on the couch instead of in the bed with him. This way, he could avoid my germs AND I would not disturb him lest I need the restroom again. GOOD PLAN.
Each of the 100 trips to the bathroom was joined with a few minutes on the floor with my feet elevated to keep from passing out. Thankfully, the vomiting was not a recurring event all night.
I was 10 feet away from the bathroom. And yet it was not close enough. I can say with 100% conviction that having my husband witness the "not close enough" moments was
By Thursday, the worst of the death illness seemed to have left. My fever had broken and I was no longer tied to the bathroom. I still felt as if my body were made of lead and I was exhausted. I ate light food and it all stayed down.
Friday, I decided that I was well enough to venture
This time, I was brushing my teeth when the feelings started rolling. I waited patiently at the sink in the hopes that it would subside. It did not. As I lurched for the toilet with my hand partially covering my mouth, everything came up. ALL. OVER. EVERYTHING. My towel. The toilet. The floor. The shower curtain. All over the wall and BEHIND the toilet tank. Derek said it resembled a scene from "The Exorcist". And thanks to all the sports drink I had been drinking to stay hydrated, it was RED. Gross. Clean up was NOT FUN. And since we live in a furnished rental, I was doing the laundry to clean the shower curtain and towel at 1 in the morning.
*********Ending of TMI Portion of Post**********
By Sunday, I was finally feeling up to eating some normal food again. And today, I feel almost back to normal. ALMOST.
Just in time for Derek to come home (to the lovely Valentines Dinner I had cooked for him) with a fever and complaining that he doesn't feel right. In a way, I hope that he doesn't have what I did (as I wouldn't wish this illness on my worst enemy). But in another way, I am afraid that if he has something different, I will catch that too and I am not looking forward to being sick any time again soon. I guess we just wait and see.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I know that I was nominated for some awards that I need to accept. I promise I have not forgotten. I just haven't gotten to those posts yet. Hopefully soon (now that I don't resemble a zombie any more).
I also have a few other things that I have been wanting to blog about that I haven't gotten a chance. I had the best intentions of writing these posts this past week when said illness took over my plans.
Well, time to take the dogs out and see if I can nap a little bit. I have a feeling this might be a long night.
5 comments:
I'm glad that you are feeling better! That doesn’t sound like fun...
Oh man, that sounds AWFUL! My hubby had an incident like that a few years ago where he didn't get to the bathroom in time and I got to clean it up. Fun times. Glad you're feeling better!!
You poor things! I totally read the TMI portion. That sounds like Hell! Nothing can really gross me out anymore. I had the swine flu during pregnancy and morning sickness the entire time so I think the icky side of my brain is calloused enough by now. I just have the utmost sympathy for you. Take care of yourself!!!
UGH sounds horrible!!! I hope you feel better permanently and that your DH stays ok too. BTW- I totally laughed out loud (HARD) at your Exorcist part. :P
I am so sorry to hear that you were so very sick. It sounds like it was terrible, and that doesn't even seem to begin to describe it. Oh, Carli!
I hope that as you are feeling better that you let yourself ease back into things, as I know you are a go getter. Hope Derek isn't sick and that if he is, that it passes quickly.
Post a Comment