No, I am not talking about the people who helped me win a Grammy or an Oscar. (Seriously, you thought I had one of those?)
I am talking about THESE "Little People"
I am sure you have all seen them - the stickers that people put on their back windshield to show their children and their pets.
At first, I really thought this was a cute idea and I dreamed of the day that I would have my family proudly displayed on my window.
Then infertility hit and these stickers became a reminder of everything I didn't have. On a bad day (when the hormones were raging), seeing a family of stickers could bring me to tears. On other days, rage would take over as I was driving behind a mini van with a family of 7 kids displayed. Each one felt as if I was being kicked while I was down. But it wasn't hatred because I don't LIKE the stickers. It is because I wanted some of my own so badly that I couldn't take it. It was a jealous hatred.
There was a time that I even considered buying my family (husband, wife, and 2 dogs) to stick on my car. I decided against it because I felt like I would look and feel pretty pathetic* AND **. Instead, I adorned my car with stickers of other things I love and I have silently coveted the Little People.
Before too long, I can have my own set of "Little People" proudly displayed...
*If you have no children and have these little people on your car, I don't mean that YOU are pathetic, just that I would feel that way every time I looked at the stickers.
**OK, if we are being truthful here, I have to also admit that I am anal retentive. I didn't want to permanently attach stickers to my window with the doggies close to us and then have kids and have to stick them at the end. That just seemed like the wrong way to apply the stickers - I would want the kiddos stuck closer to us.
4 comments:
I totally agree with you! Although, on a trip to Disney World I decided I liked the Disney 'little people' so much that I bought 3...one for my husband, myself and our dog. I was trying to enact some karma I think, hoping that by attaching the dog first, surely I'd become pregnant and have to spend hours unsticking the dog next to us....3 years later...I have two more dogs and no children. My 2 newest dogs don't have stickers...because that would be...well...pathetic! ;)
Ha Ha! It is funny how you think you are the only one who thinks about something and then you read someone else's blog! I would get sad or annoyed (depending on the day) when I would see the long line up of family stickers on people's cars. I did get my own virtual family sticker for my blog at WiddlyTinks.com. It is of DH, me, our dog, and three cats. Like you I probably wouldn't put it on my car but it is fun to have it on my blog. =)
Oh gosh, I hate those stickers. Stephen and I always talk about how ridiculous and annoying they are! I don't blame you for not wanting them. Not only are they way over done but it's kind of unsafe to broadcast how many kids you have, what their sex is and in some cases what their names are. Why would you overshare that to the perverts of this world? Also, I'm super anal retentive and hate the idea of plastering stickers on our car too ;)
Never been a fan myself. And I agree with Ellie! Way to broadcast to pedophiles and other weirdos the number and names of your kids. Dumb.
Post a Comment