As I am sure you are all aware by now of the atrocious campaign that PETA was offering "in honor" of National Infertility Awareness Week.
When I first heard about the campaign, it was from reading the posts of fellow bloggers. I was furious that PETA would even consider it remotely appropriate to give away a vasectomy to honor the millions of people who can't have children. Right, because that is exactly what we all asked for.
I had the best intentions of writing my own email to PETA to let them know how outraged I was. The first roadblock to this was that the campaign to stop PETA happened when I was pretty busy. As each day slipped past, I kept telling myself that I would have time to get to it the next day.
The second roadblock - well - that one was probably self imposed. As I read the letters that were posted on the blogs of my online friends, I realized just how eloquent and well written those letters were. They seemed to be written by people with clear heads who listed facts and figures as arguments for why PETA should drop their campaign. And they never once dropped the F-Bomb.
As I tried to compose my own letter, I couldn't figure out how to express myself and my anger without cursing. Unless I pirated one of the letters written by a fellow blogger, the best part of my contribution to the fight was that I was going to tell them that instead of honoring infertiles with this campaign, perhaps they should honor the Dugger Family (and those like them) as they were more likely to overpopulate the world than we infertiles were.
And then it happened. From the dedication and persistence of the bloggers whose writings I admired (and was considering claiming as my own), PETA caved in and dropped any mention of NIAW from their contest.
And to those bloggers who were eloquent enough to say the right words and determined enough to win the battle, on behalf of the infertile community I would like to say THANK YOU!
1 comment:
First, I am disgusted with PETA's thoughts on even presenting such a campain. It speaks volumes of insensitivity on their part, who seem to want to pride themselves on protecting the suffering of God's creations.
Second, I am glad to hear that the voice of the IF community was heard and they dropped the campain. Thank you to each of those letter writers! It shows you can make a difference and it is important to speak about what you are most passionate about.
Post a Comment