Yesterday, I had the first of my weekly OB appointments. Dr. M wanted to start weekly monitoring this early due to possible 3rd trimester complications that seem more prevalent in IVF pregnancies. Although the conversation with him 2 weeks ago had me panicking, I am very happy that he is monitoring me more closely than the average pregnancy.
On tap for 32 weeks was my first non-stress test (NST) and an ultrasound. In the ultrasound, we were checking the little man's growth to make sure that he wasn't measuring small, looking at the level of amniotic fluid, and checking for any signs that the placenta is not supporting him as it should be.
Since the U/S tech doesn't typically discuss the measurements she is taking, I have learned to watch the screen closely to see how the little guy is measuring. The amniotic fluid is measuring at a normal level. The first size measurement was the head circumference - and our little guy's head was measuring at over 35 weeks. (I think I missed the next couple of measurements as I was wondering just how big of a head I would be pushing out...) His legs were measuring in at over 34 weeks. A few calculations later and the U/S tech did something she doesn't normally do - she shared some information. She said "Well, he definitely isn't measuring small. His weight is about 5 pounds."
Ummm, yeah. According to my weekly BabyCenter.com email, the average 32 week baby weighs in at 3.75 pounds and is gaining about a half a pound a week from here on out.
I know that these weight estimates are just that - estimates - and they can be way off. But WOW. 5 pounds. I guess I shouldn't be worried about him being small. This would also explain why so many people think I am either having twins or further along than I am...
The U/S tech was also kind enough to give us a couple of 3D shots of our little big boy.
| Carder at 32 Weeks in 3D. I love how clearly visible his ear is. |
The results of the NST were good - no concerns noted. Dr. M said that he sees no reason that I won't be making it to full term. Regardless, knowing that he is measuring a little large makes me feel better about the possibility of a premature birth. For some reason it makes me feel as if he would have a better chance of being healthier when he arrived.
I also discussed Cord Blood Banking with Dr. M. Since we aren't genetically related to Carder, I have been debating if the cost of cord blood banking is worth it - but I didn't realize just how expensive it was until I called and inquired about it. Dr. M. informed me of another option offered in the State of Michigan - there is a cord blood donation center where you can donate your cord blood for free. It goes into a database that can be used by anyone in Michigan. Therefore, you aren't guaranteed that yours will still be available, but they do try to use your own first if it is still available. And, Dr. M let me know that the diseases that can currently be treated with cord blood are quite rare so the usage of cord blood isn't as frequent as you would think. Derek and I still need to talk about it and make our decision, but at least we now have another less expensive option to look into.
I go back next Tuesday for another NST. My next ultrasound will be at 36 weeks.
Everyone is asking me how I am feeling. I am feeling pretty good. I get tired when I have been on my feet for several consecutive hours, so I am trying to make sure I take some time to rest. So far, the only swelling has been minimal and rest and hydration have kept the cankles at bay. I am getting more frequent rib pain and it is getting a little more difficult to sleep. I literally "roll" to get up from any seated or laying position, but I am still getting around just fine.
Derek got to see his first outside movement at the Dr's office yesterday - normally as soon as he looks, Carder stops all movement and Derek doesn't have the patience to watch for long periods of time. But yesterday he saw the first (which he described as looking like an alien in there). This first glimpse inspired him to stare at my belly for a while last night and he was quite surprised at what he could see from the outside. I really loved to see how excited he looked seeing Carder move in there...
And just in case you were wondering how big the belly has gotten, here is some eye candy for you.
| Carli at 32 Weeks Pregnant |
| Bare Belly - Just so you can verify that this is all Baby Belly and not just fat rolls hidden under my shirt. Or a Rye Bread. |
6 comments:
Your bump is beautiful!! So glad the appt went well!
HAPPY the appointments went well! You look great:) LOVE the 3d picture. And you are right about being way off on size of babies, they told my sister in law that both of her kiddos were LARGE babies and my nephew was 6.5 lbs and my niece was 6 lbs. But I am glad that he is healthy:)
Beautiful bump and so exciting to hear that baby is doing so well!!! That's wonderful your OB is monitoring you so closely, hoping all continues smoothly!
So glad to hear you and your little man are doing so well! Love to hear how Derek is getting to share more and more of the pregnancy with you. You are a bit shorter than the average person, so it doesn't surprise me that you might look a little further along and it being no reflection on you. You look adorable!
He's a cutie! And i love the bump!
Liam always measured about 3 weeks ahead, too - maybe it's an FET thing? They also told me his head was big at about your gestation, but then the next ultrasound said it wasn't, haha. Anyway, he is big everywhere but his head! So hopefully you wont' have too much trouble. :)
Post a Comment