Thursday, May 17, 2012

My First Mother's Day

After all of the years that I longed to be a Mother, I suppose you could say that I was expecting quite a bit of pomp and circumstance.  The day didn't turn out quite as I had expected or had hoped, but it was till a wonderful day.

We have been planning on adding a pergola to our patio. However, construction projects with an infant at home can be tough. Derek was going to take a couple of days off work, so we planned to work on it that weekend. And, since we needed someone to watch Carder, we asked Derek's parents to come watch him for us. Their only availability was on Sunday. I hadn't wanted to have company on Mother's day, nor had I wanted to spend my entire day on my first Mother's day with someone else hugging on my sweet baby. (Absolutely selfish, I know...)  But, since it was a favor to us, I was going to suck it up and take what was available, so the plans were made.

And then Derek couldn't take the days off work, meaning we couldn't work on the pergola.

On Friday night, we worked to install an outdoor fireplace, lit a fire, and were enjoying a couple of beers.  Derek called to tell his parents the change of plans and they asked if they could still come up on Sunday anyway.  He told them yes. Considering the fact that I had already had a couple of beers and was a bit tipsy, I decided not to say anything.

The next day, I told him that wasn't how I wanted to spend MY first Mother's day - with his Mom getting all Carder's hugs and having to entertain company. *  To his credit, I think he understood and he offered to call to tell them not to come.   However, I told him not to.   His mom was probably looking forward to seeing her son and grandson for Mother's Day and if he cancelled, it was going to be because I was being a bitch and didn't want to get along with everyone.

The day started with me cooking a couple of quiches for us to all eat for breakfast.  After they were in the oven and the in-laws had arrived, I took my shower. We ate a nice breakfast and then took a 13 mile bike ride.  Carder wasn't really enjoying himself so we stopped for me to check on him.  No wonder he didn't like our first ride and wasn't liking this one - his helmet had a sticky place that was pulling his hair out!  After taking the helmet off, he seemed to really enjoy himself.




That afternoon, we picked up dinner at a local Italian restaurant. The in-laws left before it got too late, so I still got some nice 1 on 1 time with Carder. And Derek got me a nice card and a set of adirondack chairs for the backyard.    And Carder - well, he held on to me tightly when anyone else reached for him.  That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  :)

All in all, it was a nice day... I think his Mom knew that it wasn't what I had wanted for my first Mother's Day. She commented on me having to cook when I should be getting pampered (to which I responded that when you have company, you have to cook even if it is your day to get pampered). And later she said that she appreciated me sharing my day and that she knew she had invited herself (I just smiled because I am a terrible liar).

* Don't get me wrong, if we had been closer in distance to my mom, we would have seen her - and I would have resented that, too.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

It sounds like you handled things perfectly ;)
And how sweet that he kept holding on to you tightly--that makes it all worthwhile doesn't it?

Jamie said...

So wonderful that Carder just so wanted you all day on Mother's Day! Awe!