Several times...Does this count as my baby's first steps???
On Monday, July 2, 2012 Carder was standing independently with a toy in each hand. I coaxed him to see if I could get him to take a step towards me...and he did. Just one tiny little step forward and then he fell into my waiting arms. And he has repeated this feat a few times now.
Even though Carder's pedi said at his 12 month well child appointment that he thought he would be walking within the week, he still isn't running around the house. But, like all things Carder, this will come in his own time.
He has been cruising around the house holding onto my fingers (sometimes just one hand on one finger) every chance he gets and I have been trying to get him to walk, but crawling is still his preferred mode of transportation at the moment.
My biggest fear right now, though, is that he will begin "really walking" next week. Derek and I are taking a vacation together (our first trip without Carder) next Friday. We will be heading to California for one the wedding of one of Derek's closest friends. When planning for this trip, it was a very tough decision to make to not take Carder with us. However, with the 3 hour time change, the rehearsal dinner and the wedding all fall in the time where he will be ready for bed. The wedding is going to be a formal affair and I don't think it would be any fun for anyone to have an over tired toddler at a formal wedding/reception way past his bed time. With a heavy heart, we decided to leave him with my in-laws.
I have seriously considered telling my in-laws not to encourage him to walk and to push him down if he starts to take steps. Mean? Yes. Selfish? Guilty. Necessary for self preservation? 150% as I would never forgive myself for missing his first steps because I was on a vacation...without him.
2 comments:
First, I say yes, you already saw his first steps. And he took it heading right for you!
Second I know EXACTLY what you mean about asking your inlaws to discourage his walking. Ugh, I am terrified that mine will get the first words and step. TERRIFIED. So don't feel bad.
Also I completely understand how hard this trip will be for you. I wish Carder was going to be there too. But sadly, I think you are doing the right thing, by not disrupting his schedule. And selfishly, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!
P.S. Love the new Blog Name!
Yep, do it. Tell them to push him down! That's what I would do. And I'd also tell them that in the event he were to take some steps, they are not, for any reason, to TELL YOU!!! ;)
Post a Comment