Monday, February 18, 2013

I Am Now Officially a "Soccer Mom"...

Because I now drive a minivan.

I have been driving a Subaru Outback since 2009 and I have absolutely LOVED it.  But with the Car Seat taking up half of the back seat and having family live out of town, there were times that I really wished for a 3rd row of seats.  Every time we get together with family, everyone inevitably tries to climb into one car and this leaves the back seat very crowded and without properly restrained passengers.

As things typically go in our household, Derek got the bug for car shopping (he is a habitual car trader) and he had been looking at cars for at least 2 months.  I know this not because he told me but because I saw the open tabs on the iPad after he used it.  I knew a possible vehicle trade was in our future.

Derek suggested that we get a larger SUV with a 3rd row - I could see him picturing us driving along in this sporty vehicle.  I vetoed that idea because our families are getting older and I thought we should get a 3rd row that was "useable" and I suggested a minivan.  After initially turning his nose up at the idea, he did some test drives and admitted that the 3rd row in most SUVs was really not easily accessible or comfortable unless you were a 13 year old.

He found a great deal on a used minivan that had very low mileage.  It was a little older than I would have included in my original search but it is in great shape.  And now that we actually own a minivan, Derek is really digging our new ride.  It is super convenient and very comfy for trips.  Our next trip down to Georgia will be a much more enjoyable for all of us.  Interest rates were phenomenal and we are financing very little (and it will be even less when we sell Derek's car because he is going to be keeping the 2009 Outback).

Here is Carder on our first long trip in the car - he is testing out the DVD player and I think he approves...

 
His first trip in the minivan was not as successful as the one pictured above.  Carder doesn't love change but typically does OK when I give him plenty of warning.  I hadn't really thought much about it until we tried to take the test drive, but Carder has never ridden in ANY CAR other than my Outback.  Being put into this strange car was a very freaky experience for him and he was NOT happy.  This was further complicated by the fact that I had decided to turn his car seat to forward facing when I installed it in the minivan and he had never ridden any way other than rear facing.  The first 2 rides were an interesting mix of wiggling to avoid being in his car seat and tears and screaming.
 
He is now happily riding forward facing and LOVING being able to see out of the windows.  We have great discussions about the things he can now see out the window (a woman running, a dog, an airplane, the trashcans in the alley...).  He is also very facinated by the door with the electric opener.  We call it the "Magic Door" and it opens by pushing the "Magic Button"...I think it may very well be his favorite part of the minivan.
 
Of course, getting a new vehicle and changing him around to forward facing prompted me to also push for having a car seat in both cars.  We upgraded his main car seat to a Toddler Booster that will convert and grow with him until he no longer needs a car seat.  He seems to really like this new seat quite a bit.  I love the new seat and the cupholder that goes with it!

No comments: