Monday, May 25, 2009

Embryo Transfer #2

Most of the people who will read this blog already know this, but for those of you who don't already know, we are currently in the process of our second round of IVF (Invitro Fertilization). After all of the shots and all of the monitoring, I had the eggs that I had been working so hard to grow retrieved on Friday, May 22. There were 16 of them. After being combined in a dish with Derek's contribution to the process, we had 13 embryos by Saturday morning. As of Sunday, 12 were still "growing and dividing appropriately." Please note: this phrase DOES NOT mean that your embryos are normal. It only means they are still growing. We were told, once again, that we would have a day 3 transfer. This translated to us that we, once again, had fragmentation in our Embryos. Regardless of the change in medication protocol or how good the follicles looked, the outcome was not drastically improved.

So, today, we traveled into Atlanta for our Embryo Transfer. The transfer went well and we transferred 3 beautiful albeit fragmented embryos into my well prepared and thickly lined uterus. (I have been growing that, too!) Sorry for the picture quality, it is the best I have...

So now, we wait. For 2 - 3 more days. To see if any of our remaining 9 embryos will make it to the blastocyst stage to be frozen for future attempts.

And then we wait some more. For 11 excrutiatingly long days (from today). To find out if this round worked and if by some miracle after 48 months of trying, we will be pregnant. Finally.

7 comments:

Once Upon A Time said...

Carli! I am so glad you started a blog- and I love the picture of your little embryos. I am quadrupally crossing my fingers for you this time, not only that at least one gets all cozy up in your uterus- but that as many as possible of the 9 make it to freeze. Love you.

Jamie said...

Hi Carli! Well wishes for you and your embies. You will be in my thoughts and prayers everyday during the 2WW. Lots of (HUGS) for you and Derek!

Lau said...

Carli, so nice to see the picture, now I can visualise your embies growing and growing healthy and strong.

Here's wishing you the best.

MelissaP05 said...

Carli, I'm praying for you and the embies. KMFC and (((HUGS))).

Kerri said...

Yay, welcome to the blogging world, Carli! I am so excited you're here. I'm sorry to hear about the fragmentation again, but I am glad they implanted 3 embryos that, for the most part, looked good. I am hoping and praying that your little embies are loving their new home in your uterus and that they plan to stick around for a long 9-10 months. :)I know the wait is excruciating- who knew 11 days could feel like an eternity?! I will be thinking of you and wish you and Derek the best. Good luck!

PS- I think the embies are so cute in your picture! Is that weird? :)

Kerri said...

Oh, and your shih tzus are precious!!!! I wish they could have a play date with Maggie.

Ellie said...

Carli - I love you and am praying hard that this cycle works for you! You guys have waited far long enough for this! I know the next 2 weeks will be TORTURE so in the meantime if you need to vent or talk let us know. We are here for you! And I second Kerri's comment about your embies. So cute! :) Now keep talking them and telling them to stick with all their might!