This weekend, Carder's eye started watering and began to have some yellowish discharge. On Tuesday, I took him to the Pediatrician to get it checked out. When they weighed him, he was 11 pounds 6 ounces. He has officially doubled his birth weight. I am super proud of him. His weight is now in the 25th percentile.
We didn't see our normal pediatrician as he was on vacation, but the substitute doctor was very nice. She determined that he might have an infection in his eye or it could be a clogged tear duct. Either way, we got some eye drops just in case and it is clearing up nicely.
I also revisited the acid reflux conversation with the Doctor. As you may remember, we discontinued the usage of the Zantac for a few days due to the fact that Carder's appetite had dropped drastically after the immunizations and starting the Zantac. We did attempt to start it back - and the feedings immediately followings the doses of Zantac were TERRIBLE. I began to wonder if the Zantac was making the issue worse. When I discussed this with the Pediatrician, she said that it was possible. She went over his symptoms again and said that he could have Acid Reflux. However, since the symptoms aren't flaring up at every feeding and the medication didn't seem to be improving anything, she thought we should hold off on giving it to him for a while.
The good news is that the "bad feedings" seem to have lightened up a little bit, as have the spit ups followed by crying. We discussed the possibility that perhaps part of his discomfort could be from the type of formula we are supplementing with. I had originally just associated it with when be began eating more, but when he began eating more was when we began supplementing more as well - so the symptoms began to get worse when we started upping the amount of supplementation She suggested that we try the soy based formula to see if it that made a difference in his comfort level. We have been using Neosure - a formula specifically formulated for preemies that has a couple extra calories per ounce - but since his growth has been catching up, she thinks we could forgo those extra calories at this point. Part of me is ready to make the switch, but another part of me wants to hold off and continue giving him those extra calories for a couple more weeks. It is difficult to know which is better - the extra calories or a possible better/worse tolerance for a new formula.
2 comments:
Yeah, Carder for doubling your birth weight! Good luck with his feedings and I hope you figure out something that works comfortably for him soon.
Way to go Carder! It doesn't seem like he needs the extra calories any more. :)
I'm by no means on expert, but I remember reading stuff about soy formula not being great for boys for some reasons. Thought I'd throw that out there in case you want to look into it.
Things are always such a guessing game with little ones... I hope that whatever you do or are doing right now seems to be what's working best for him!
Post a Comment