Monday, August 15, 2011

Visit with the Grandparents

Last week, my parents drove up from Georgia and spent a week with us.  My mom had gotten to meet Carder when he was born, but hadn't had a chance to hold him or give him much loving.  This was my Dad's first trip to meet his grandson.

Both of my parents were enamored with Carder.  They spent every moment they could holding him, kissing him, feeding him, nuzzling with him.  It really was great to finally see my parents getting to spend time with him.  I had waited a long time to get to see my parents as grandparents.  Seeing them bond with Carder was definitely worth the wait.

A Kiss from Grandpa

Nuzzling with Grandma in the Nursery

Grandpa reading "Go, Dog! Go", one of my favorite childhood books

Early Morning Nap in their PJ's - Grandma and Carder


It was a great visit.  My mom had cooked and frozen quite a few meals.  While they were here, we were very well fed with very minimal time in the kitchen.  Mom even brought along a few extra things to leave in our freezer so that I could have some quick and easy meals for days that cooking was hard to get to.  Dad helped Derek with a few projects around the house that I hadn't been able to help with.  I got to take a few naps at times when I wouldn't normally have been able to.  We didn't go anywhere and do anything, but we had an excellent time.  And I am not sure who was more spoiled by the time they left - Carder or me.

Although I had anticipated their leaving being difficult, it was harder than I had imagined it would be.  The day they left, I cried multiple times and spent the day wishing that we lived closer.  When we moved to Michigan, I never thought that living that far from my parents would be as difficult as it has been.  Becoming a mother has created a bond between my mother and I that didn't exist before, which makes the distance between us that much harder.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Very sweet post and I love the pictures of you parents with Carder! Glad that everyone enjoyed the visit and that you got to be spoiled, too, with good food and extra sleep. I am very happy for you, Carli, that you feel a special bond with your mom, now that you are a mom. You deserve it.

Lau said...

Oh Sweetie, those pictures of your parents with Carder made me teary on so many levels!

I understand perfectly what you mean about parents being so far away. I know it's nowhere near the same but something that has worked for us is Skype. It's incredible to see L bond with my family over the computer. In fact, he'll sometimes go to my laptop and start calling for grandma to appear.

Hugs!