Monday, September 19, 2011

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back to Work I Go

I started back to work last week on September 13.

Going back wasn't as rough as I had thought it would be.  I was afraid that I would spend the entire first week in tears.  I guess I cried enough in the weeks leading up to it that I didn't have very many tears left.  Okay, so I teared up a little, but I put on my big girl panties, sucked it up, and managed to act like a professional about it.  After all, I am still just working part time (Tues - Thurs) and I am getting to be home with him the majority of the week.

It was nice to spend some time having adult conversations without having to worry that the baby would cry and interrupt the conversation.  It was nice using my brain to do something besides to calculate the scoops of dry formula needed for 12 ounces of water (or to count those scoops).

Did I miss my baby?  Absolutely.  Terribly.  Couldn't get home fast enough.

But it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

Tuesday was rough - he was asleep when I got home and was a bit fussy.  That was probably the worst part of all of it - wanting to enjoy the time I did have with him and having him not be in the best of moods made me cry a little bit.  Wednesday was better - he was awake when I got home and (as I previously posted) waited for me to come home to roll over.

But the best part of the week? Thursday evening when I arrived home, my MIL was burping him on her shoulder.  When I walked in and spoke to him, his eyes lit up and he gave me this big huge grin.  It was almost as if he was saying "Mommy!  I missed you and I am so happy to see you!"  It totally made my day away from him worth it.

In Day Care news, my in-laws did a great job watching him.  BUT, our day care called on Friday and they now have a spot for us.  The in-laws will be watching him this week and next week and then he will begin going to the day care.  Although I know my in-laws are not ecstatic about this - they were, after all, looking forward to spending all that time with him - they understand that we can't pass it up.  And, I think that it is a good development.  I think that having the day care will alleviate the resentment and jealousy I was feeling and will prevent the destruction of my relationship with them.

Hopefully, this week will go just as smoothly as last week did.


4 comments:

Heather said...

He is such a cutie! I totally get how it feels nice at times to use your brain and have intelligent conversations with adults. I was part-time for 3 months, and honestly, that was the best of both worlds. I hope you are able to stay part-time long-term!

Jamie said...

First, I LOVE the picture of you holding Carder (after what looks like maybe a bath)! You look like a proud Mama!

Second, I'm glad to hear that the first week was not as bad as you thought it could have been. And I hope the next week goes as well. I love how you talked about his face lighting up when he saw you come home. So sweet! Good to hear that the daycare has an opening, too.

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

Glad to hear you made it without too many tears! He is so cute! Love the pictures!

Kerri said...

Carli, that picture of him in the frog towel is so completely adorable I can hardly stand it. Carder is a cutie!

I'm glad he got into the daycare. I can totally understand your concern about your relationship with your in-laws getting complicated...I think I would have felt a bit of resentment if I were in your shoes too. Glad that all worked out for the best!