Derek had to work on Christmas Eve, but I was lucky enough to be off.
Carder and I spent our morning playing and getting dressed. We headed out to catch a 10am 25 cent showing of Polar Express at a theatre downtown. This was Carder's first movie and I wasn't sure how well it would go. He had a great time. There were some carolers before the movie started (and he kept asking for more when they finished a song). When the pre-movie stuff came on the screen, he got really excited. And then the movie started. When the little boy came on the screen in the bed, Carder said "Night Night" and the lady beside me giggled. The train came on the screen and Carder said "Choo Choo" and he pointed and babbled throughout the movie. Thank goodness it was a theatre filled with other kids chatting.
You may remember Carder's first visit with Santa didn't go very well (you can see pictures of him here). We kept reading books about Christmas and talking about Santa. By Christmas Eve, he seemed to be quite a fan of Santa and was requesting Santa books at bedtime and pointing at every Santa he saw and saying "Ho Ho". I think it might possibly be the cutest thing ever. But not cute enough to attempt to go see Santa again, just in case.
Anyway, back to the movie. When Santa came on the screen, all of the kids got very quite (it was the quitest the theatre was the entire movie). Carder yells out "Ho Ho" very excitedly. Adults all around me cracked up. And just moments later, Carder fell fast asleep and missed the last 10 minutes of the movie. It was definitely worth the 50 cents we paid.
After lunch and a nap, we spent our afternoone getting the groceries we would need for our Christmas Dinner and playing. That evening, we had a quick dinner and loaded Carder into the car. We slowly drove through several streets and let Carder look at all of the sparkling Christmas lights. He really loved looking at the lights and babbled on and on about what he could see from the window of the car. "Ho Ho" was repeated multiple times. Looking at the lights was a big hit.
When we got home, we read the Christmas staple of "T'was the Night Before Christmas" and did our normal bedtime routine.
Carder gave us a wonderful Christmas gift - he slept until 9 am on Christmas morning. We got up and gave Carder breakfast. I started baking some Cinnamin Rolls for Derek and I. And then we took Carder over to open his presents. He was very interested in unwrapping the presents - as long as you let him play with whatever he opened until he was ready to move on. He really didn't enjoy the "assembly required" portion of the presents, but he had a great time playing with his new gifts.
My family called mid-morning on FaceTime and watched Carder open his presents from them.
During his nap, Derek and I sorted through the toys and boxed up some that he no longer plays with. We also set up his basketball goal in his play area downstairs.
We spent the day doing things I had always dreamed about doing on Christmas Day - playing with our child and his Christmas loot - building towers with the cardboard blocks and knocking them down, driving cars over the floor, and playing basketball.
It was a wonderful way to spend Christmas as a family. The only thing that I think I would change is that I would get dressed first. I love spending Christmas morning lounging in my pajamas, but the look wasn't the greatest for the pictures. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment