Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Sugar Cookies

Carder and I made some salt dough ornaments of his hand print for family members for Christmas.  (Thank you Pinterest).  With the leftover dough, we used a cookie cutter to cut out stars.

When I showed him the baked and hardened result the next day, he tried to eat it.  So, I thought perhaps we should try to make some Christmas Sugar Cookies. 

This was going to be Carder's first time making cookies and I wanted to make it special.  At first, I was all "I am going to make the dough from scratch and be super mom".  And then we were in the grocery store and buying a couple more cookie cutters and I was all "I am super tired and store bought dough would be so much easier and tastes just as good as home made anyway" so I bought a couple of rolls of dough.  And then bought some extra sprinkles to make up for it.

To my surprise and delight, Derek even decided to get in on the act (which would be why there are any pictures of the event..because everyone knows that dough and sprinkles and toddlers on counter tops and cameras don't mix).






Carder loved to shake on the sprinkles but didn't quite understand the concept of shaking it with the holes pointed down., so he covered the counter with green, red, and blue sugar. 

The finished product turned out great and we all enjoyed some freshly baked sugar cookies and a glass of milk.  I hope to make baking cookies as a family a part of Christmas traditions for years to come.

2 comments:

happymomof4 said...

My kiddos love making cookies each Christmas. Oh and your so right about cookie dough, sprinkles and cameras not mixing- lol!

Lara said...

Love it. We tried with Leland but he refused to participate. He picked up a plain cookie, ate it, and looked at us confused as we decorated. He also refused to eat any of the doctorated cookies, preferring the plain ones. We had fun anyway!