Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Resolutions/Goals

I have never been much of a resolution type of person.  But for some reason, I thought this year might be a good idea to have some.  So, here they are, in no particular order.

  • I resolve to cut out (or at least drastically reduce) my usage of profanity.  I have been so angry over the last few years that I have found that I drop the F bomb much more often that I would like.  And when we finally bring a child into our home, I don't wan their first word to be Fu#%.  You know?  Plus, I don't think the social worker completing our Home Study would be too impressed if I answered her questions swearing like a sailor.  Progress at the moment:  So far, this resolution has not been a success.  I am trying, but this one will have to be a work in progress.  Rome wasn't built in a day and the profanity didn't get this bad overnight.  I need to ween myself off.
  • I resolve to not obsess over POAS or ovulation or BDing during our "window" each month of this year.  And I will NOT let the 2WW rule my life this year.  Progress at the moment:  Pretty darned good.  I didn't even write down the first day of my cycle on my calendar.  Aren't you proud?  I guess I should probably figure out the next approximate date of her arrival so that I can have the necessary supplies on hand.  But I really don't feel like it.  I think I will throw caution to the wind and just avoid wearing white pants.  I have gone back to drinking coffee with the caffine in it. I drink wine WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT!!! So THIS is how the other half lives???
  • I resolve to not put things in my life on hold because of upcoming fertility treatments or possible impending pregnancy (or now adoption related matters).  Progress at the moment:  Looking pretty good.  So far, a discussion regarding a possible vacation did not send me into hysterics, not once did I consider not going due to the fact I might be PG, not once did I consider anything other than "Does that sound like fun?"  It was QUITE liberating.  It was a glimpse of what life was like before I became obsessed with TTC.
  • I resolve to lose the last of that infertility weight.  Progress so far:  Not so good.  I have yet to start a diet or head to the gym.  But I am not too concerned about it right now.  I have gone back to eating healthier (pre-holiday eating) and that is the first step.
  • I resolve to try to be in a healthier place when dealing with OPP (Other People's Pregnancies).  You know, let go of the resentment that it will NOT BE ME.  Progress so far:  Pretty good if I say so myself.  I have an employee who I think is about to announce that she is lapping me for the second time.  And, a co-worker and his wife that were undergoing IVF treatments informed me today that they are expecting.  Twins.  And I took it like a champ.  So, I think I am doing pretty good so far.
There you have it.  The goals of an infertile trying to figure out how to fit back into the fertile world while moving forward with reshaping her hopes/dreams...

7 comments:

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

I think i need to take your advice and make some resolutions. May have to even have the same ones!

Melissa G said...

Carli, I'm so happy for you. You sound like you are in such a good place now. And you really deserve it.

1. Me fucking too.

2. I literally laughed out loud the other day while I was walking Parker because I realized I had NO idea what cycle day I was on.

3. Learning to not put my life on hold. This is something I'm still working on. Good for you for getting on board.

4. You seemed to do really well with the dieting last time. I'm sure you'll do great with the rest. I stated my diet and excersize this week. So far so good. I think just being conscience of what you are eating can go a very long way though. (I already desperately miss Peanut Butter)... *Sigh*

5. OPP. Hmm, I think I may have good days and bad with this. But last night at the Sharks game I managed to pick out a couple of onesies for friends of mine that are due next week. Something I have dreamed of doing for Brian and I. So maybe that is a little progress...

I wasn't trying to make my comment all about me, I just wanted to remind you that you are still not alone. Love you.

Tina said...

You resolutions are great!

I really like the one where you are not putting your life on hold "if" you are pregnant!

We planned a trip and at first I was worried - "WHAT IF"! But then I decided I wasn't going to miss out on life anymore! Sure enough I got my positive two days before the trip and still had the best time ever. I didn't want to look back 10 years from now and regret not doing things in case I was pregnant.

Good luck with your resolutions!

I am glad y'all have talked about adoption. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Jamie said...

Carli, you do sound like you are in a better place and I think your list of resolutions is a great idea. I wish you the best on each of them and it sounds like you are off to a great start. I think I should take some time to write a few of my own. I had to laugh at the not wearing white pants comment!

Love you!

Once Upon A Time said...

Those sound like great goals- if you can eliminate the f-bomb from your vocabulary, you may just inspire me to do the same. (I've found my use of profanity had increased over the course of IF too) Good luck making progress on all of them!

Ellie said...

Those are all excellent resolutions Carli. You sound like you are in such a good place. The fact that you could take the news of OPP like a champ speaks volumes. I'm so excited for your next step with adoption and hope you will keep us posted with each step. Love you lots!

paperpregnancymom said...

Transitioning from IF treatments to adoption planning is NOT easy, but it can feel like a million pounds of pressure off of you -- solely because the burden of family-building isn't on YOUR BODY anymore. So much in your last post sounds familiar, even though it's been years since I was where you are. Good luck. Keep writing about it.