One thing that I have noticed is that the World of Blogging is a Time Suck for me.
I log onto my computer with the best intentions of getting something accomplished - whether it is researching an adoption agency or working on my course work for the volunteer tax program I am attempting to get certified for or paying bills online or whatever...
I see my Favorites button waving at me. I tell myself "It won't hurt to just jump on and check the BBC really quickly." So I do. And then, I think "I didn't hear from Katie (or insert name of other BBC friend that also blogs)" So, I jump over to my blog links. And the time suck begins.
First, I check on all the blogs I follow. And then, my eye catches a link to a blog they follow that has an interesting name or post title. Then, if I like the initial post, I made read several other posts from that blogger. And I then reason that if I like this blog and they like THAT blog, I have to check it out too! Fifteen blogs later, I have no idea how I made it to the specific blog that I am reading. And the worst part is, it is now an hour later and I still haven't accomplished what I intended to accomplish online. I really think this is a sickness, people! But, I have to say that I love reading the thoughts of other people in the IF community. It helps me to realize that everyone gets bitter. It helps me to realize that people succeed and make it to motherhood. And some of these women are downright witty and entertaining!
So then, if Derek hasn't been a wintess to how much time I have wasted randomly reading blogs, I will post on MY blog. (ahem, not that this happened TODAY or anything!!!)
OK, now that I have checked THAT off my list, I better go work on my certification before my volunteer coordinator gets testy that her volunteer isn't working hard enough.
But before I do that, I think I need to flip back over to the BBC to make sure that nothing has happened while I was gone reading blogs... :o)
I do want to thank the IFers who blog. And my IF friends from the BBC that encouraged me to join the world of blogging. Although it can be a time suck, it has helped with my sanity. (OK, at least I think it has. Those who know me IRL may still be contemplating the straight jacket!)
5 comments:
Get back to work on your IRS certification!!!!!
Not just a time suck for you, for me too :) - I justify that it doesn't take that much energy to read blogs, and energy is in short supply around here, so I must conserve. :)
*stands up, nervously tosses hair, clears throat*
"Hi my name is Melissa G, and I'm an IF Blog addict."
If my boss ever decides to track my internet use, I am SO FIRED. You are absolutely correct that blogs and the BBC are immense time sucks. But I love them so.
Now get back to work!
ROFL! You described my time on the computer to a T!
Oh wow, this sounds JUST like me. I'm really hoping that our IT department doesn't track what I do all day on the Internet. They would find a lot of time on Blogger and some weird Google searches about ovaries and cervical mucus. It's pretty sad. :)
Post a Comment