Friday, January 15, 2010

Something I Love About Myself

After spending so much time the last several months feeling absolutley shitty* about the ways I am "broken" , I found myself doing a task that feels natural to me today - and I realized that this is something that I LOVE about myself.

Since this is a long weekend, Derek and I are going to work on the continued project that is our house.  We will be remodeling the laundry room.  This will consist of painting, adding in beaded board and trim, and tiling the floor.

I got home from work and I began my evening by making a list of the supplies we needed.  I measured the room and calculated just how much of each supply that we needed.

I then checked our stock of supplies in our garage and determined that we had enough tile left from a previous project to complete the laundry room.  I checked the grout we had on hand and determined that we had plenty.  I checked the mortar and determined that we were a few square feet short.  I checked the paint, screws, nails, backerboard, etc...

And then I got in the car and I headed to the hardware store, took a deep breath, and smiled.**  I walked in the door, headed right to the aisles that held the materials I needed.  I loaded up my cart with exactly what we needed.  I spent some extra time in the tile aisle debating over the tile to use when we work on our next project (the master bath).  Now, don't get me wrong, I did ask a salesperson to direct me to the transitions in brazilian cherry and I did ask a salesperson where the smallest bag of quickset mortar was, but I was on the right aisle when I asked and I just didn't want to waste my time searching.  When I was finished, I went to the front of the store, checked out, loaded my car, and headed home.

The only thing I didn't buy was the beaded board supplies we needed for the walls.  I had measured everything (including the size of the opening to my vehicle to ensure I didn't buy something I couldn't tote home) and was fully prepared to buy those items.  But my husband convinced me that I had measured incorrectly and I needed to wait until the morning to buy those things.  I think he was just upset that I didn't need his help.  LOL!

The point of this post is that I love the fact that I feel comfortable when it comes to home improvement jobs.  I can create the list of what we need, I can measure for it, I know what it looks like in the store, and a lot of it I can do myself.  I may not feel comfortable with certain types of saws, but that is only because I sawed my thumb one time years ago.  But for the most part, I can hold my own with the best of them. I know I am not the only woman in the world who can do this, but there are quite a few of them that wouldn't even consider this sort of task.

And for that, I am pretty darned proud!!!

And, because of this, there are a lot of people who ask me questions when they have a project in front of them.  How to's?  What would you's?  What color would go with?  And some of them are even males!!!

So there you have it.  I love that about myself.  And reminding myself that all of me isn't broken is an important part in healing.  :o)

*  I know, breaking resolution #1 there, but "bad" just didn't seem to describe it well enough!  How could "bad" describe all of the tears that I have cried about the fact that my body just doesn't seem capable of creating a baby even with medical assistance...I think this curse was justified.
**I love the smell of home improvement stores.  Especially the millworks area.

4 comments:

Lau said...

Good for you, girly. You should be proud. I love home improvement too and even though I don't think I measure up to you, it did surprise my husband when I managed to offer help without asking which end of the hammer I should hold ;-)

I'd love to know what other special secrets/skills you have!

Thanks for the post.

Angie said...

Awww, kudos to you! And you're right, those reminders are VERY important! :)

Jamie said...

Carli, you continue to be an inspiration for me. Thank you for the reminder of the importance to remember to love yourself and to give yourself that credit once in a while.

Awesome that you are so handy around the house and that you get so many people who ask for your help! It is not surprising since I have seen your beautiful home.

MelissaP05 said...

That's a wonderful thing to love about yourself. Doing home renovations on our own has been something that Rob and I have loved to do together. It has gotten our mind off of TTC and allowed us to spend more time together, which is always a plus. I'm am so excited about finally getting a chance to meet you and thank you again for opening up your lovely home!