Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Adventures in Breastfeeding (Part Deux)

Thanks for the comments on the previous post about breastfeeding.  My saga is not over yet.

In answer to questions/statements from the previous post -
Martha - Thanks for commenting.  I love to get feedback!
Lau - I have missed you, girlfriend!  Hope you are doing well!  I did try the breast pads for the lanolin - AFTER I ruined my favorite T-shirt and they work fantastically.  I just want that T-shirt back.
Alie-Yes there is a medication for increasing milk production.  It is called Reglan and is often used to treat pediatric digestive issues.  I haven't seen much increase (i.e. the doubling that was suggested), but it was worth the try.  It apparently works very well on people with hormonal issues with milk production.
Ellie  - So glad you posted.  I have thought of you many times during my dramatic ordeal and knowing you made it through has made me feel like I can too.  You are my BFing hero.
EOE - Thanks so much for the supportive comments!

And now the second installment - where did I leave off...Oh yes, I got the prescription and was hoping for increased milk production.

Prior to starting the medication, my OBs office had me pump every 2 hours on that side.  I am not sure if the increased pumping or the medication made the difference, but shortly after beginning the meds, I was back at the level of production I was seeing prior to the drop.  By day 3 or 4 on the meds, I was up slightly from that mark.  Is the medication helping?  I don't know.  But I wouldn't have NOT tried it.

The most recent and most AWESOME development?  Due to a BFing session yesterday morning (which was because I was so damned tired that I didn't feel like getting up to warm the bottle or pump afterwards) with an incorrect latch, I now have blisters on my right nipple.  You read that right.  Blisters.  As in hurts like a mo-fo.  And looks pretty rank, too.

I have consulted Dr. Google with how to treat this and then verified with my OB office.  I am also going to meet with my favorite LC from the hospital tomorrow regarding my difficulty getting a correct latch.  And before anyone says it - I know that a correct latch shouldn't hurt.  But EVERY latch hurts me.  And from what one LC told me, this is probably due to the reduction.  So, yeah, great.

So now I am not BFing at all, just pumping.  And it may just stay that way.  My friend Ellie did it and she made out just fine.  And, even though I have been saying for days now that switching to formula wouldn't be a cop out, I am beginning to buy what I was selling and I am coming more to terms with the fact that breastfeeding may not work out for me.  (You must be wondering what kind of a bumbling idiot I am to just now be coming to this realization...)

3 comments:

happymomof4 said...

I am sooooo right there with you!!! I couldn't get a latch with my my little one that didn't hurt either (I really believe it was due to the reduction!). I would BF for 40+ minutes and she would still want/ need a bottle so I am strictly bottle feeding and pumping as much as possible. I tried the medicine too however I didn't see a HUGE increase in my milk production like I thought. I am pumping and giving her as much breast milk as possible but having to supplement with formula. I unfortunatly cannot pump as much as they would like, and I am sure that this would help- however I am at home with no help with three kiddos, and I cannot leave our baby girl out of my sight for one second because our son cannot be trusted (we have had some issues and scary situations when I left the room just to go to the bathroom etc...). So needless to say I am coming to terms with the fact that very soon I too will probably not be making nearly enough to keep up with her needs and will mostly be formula feeding. This is hard for me to come to terms but I know I gave it my best and at least she did get some breast milk. Hang in there I am right there with you:)

Once Upon A Time said...

There are a lot of exclusive pumpers out there. I was one of them for a week. If that is the plan that works best for all of you, then that's great! I know there are some hands free apparatuses you can use to pump out there, if your pump isn't one. You might might want to check them out.

Alie said...

I don't think you're a bumbling idiot for taking time to come to the conclusion that's best for you! I tried to EBF Kennedy for weeks and my supply issues just made it so difficult. When I decided to start supplementing with formula, she rejected me completely. I was in tears for months and still feel guilt when I remember it. I hope you don't experience any of that guilt and find peace and happiness in your BFing journey, wherever it takes you :)