Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stick A Needle in My Thigh

I have mentioned before that Derek isn't a big fan of needles and opted not to give me my injections.  As long as the injections were SubQ, this wasn't a problem.  It is when they became IM injections (the HCG Trigger shots for Fresh Cycles) that I had to figure something else out.  But, for the fresh cycles, there was only 1 per cycle as my clinic prescribes the vaginal inserts instead of PIO shots. 

Then came our FET last October.  When I got my meds, I saw the numerous large needles - and I realized that I would need a plan B.  For that cycle, I got my OBGYN office to administer the IM injections for the first couple of weeks.  The last couple of injections I gave to myself.

So, for this FET, I wasn't too concerned about how the IM injections were going to go.  I took the first one like a champ.  The second one?  Not so good.  It was in the left *check* and I am right handed.  After sticking the needle in, I moved to push the plunger and the needle came back out.  So I had to stick myself again.  The second shot didn't go in as straight and I worried for 3 days that I hadn't actually gotten the needle far enough in to actually reach the muscle.

After that disastrous attempt, I have determined that there has to be an easier way.  My IVF Nurse said I can actually use my thigh for these injections.

Friday was my first one and - I have to say - it was SOOOO much easier than trying to be a contortionist to reach my own bum for a shot.  In addition to being easier to reach, it didn't seem to be as tender and painful afterwards.  Perhaps this was due to the 2 stick vs 1 stick approach???

6 comments:

Nink said...

Oh, good to know! My husband has already told me he absolutely refuses to give me shots, so I may have to use the thigh as well! Good luck with everything! :)

Alie said...

Ouch! I'd be intimidated too! Glad it's better this way ;)

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

You are braver than I am...I have been lucky to have only subQ shots so far.

Kerri said...

I could never give myself the shots. I always had to have Matt do it. One day when he was late getting home from work, I tried to do it myself. I somehow managed to get it done but felt like I was going to pass out for about an hour afterwards. Glad the thigh is working out better for you!

happymomof4 said...

My husband refused to give me my shot too, and I have often wondered if you could use your thigh. So far I have managed to give my shot with some guidance from my hubby. I have actually gotten him to do more lately, I still have to stick myself but he pushes the plunger thingy and I take the needle out when it is done. Anyhoo I am so glad that things are going better!

Jamie said...

Oh! That does not sound like a pleasant experience in the least. I hope the new spot for the injections works better for you. And if so, I wonder why they wouldn't give that as an option from the start? Good luck!