I know I have been a bad, bad blogger. I haven’t posted. I haven’t commented. I have barely had time to read any posts by anyone else. But I have a some very good excuses. And I am going to make up for this absence with a really long post.
All Moved
Last Wednesday (the day of my big scare), my In-Laws arrived to help us pack up all of our house. We worked from Thursday through Monday packing up and cleaning the house. I say “WE” loosely. I packed, but I didn’t really lift anything heavy. So, I didn’t work as hard as everyone else who packed up our house, but it didn’t keep me from being absolutely exhausted. I did try to take it easy and took breaks when I felt like I needed to rest. A couple of days I actually laid down and rested for a while mid afternoon. And I was probably asleep within 30 minutes to an hour after dinner each of these nights.
A few thoughts about moving while newly pregnant:
· When you are a control freak, it is really hard to stand back and let other people pack up all of your belongings – if you were packing those items, you would inevitably do something different than what they are doing, even if it is something that is very tiny. You hold your tongue and you try not to be frustrated because, after all, they are there to HELP YOU. It isn’t as if you are paying them to do this favor for you. This is extremely difficult, however, with the emotional roller coaster of pregnancy hormones. Luckily, I have a wonderful mother in law who made a statement about how hard it must be to watch others do this for you and to just let go. Perhaps I am kidding myself to think that I hid any frustrations I was feeling, but I hope that she left understanding just how much I appreciated all that they did. Enormously. I truly hope that I hid any frustration I was feeling, but I worry that I didn’t do a very good job of this.
· In addition to having to “let go of the control”, there was another frustration as well. When you are used to being pretty self sufficient, having to wait on others to lift a box for you is quite frustrating. I mean, it is totally different when the box weighs as much as an elephant and you wouldn’t even contemplate lifting it. But when it is only “heavy”? You pack a couple of boxes and next thing you know you don’t really have room to work until someone comes to your rescue. You see others struggling to lift something you would normally help carry and you want to rush to pull your weight. And any item you are seen lifting, you get a lecture before they even know what is in the bag/box. (Read: I got a lecture for carrying a bag filled with TOILET PAPER rolls). However, when you ask for help with a specific item and 2 days later you are still having to ask for help with that item? Take that and the emotional roller coaster of pregnancy hormones and – Well - you get the picture about how frustrating it got for me.
· Did I mention the emotional roller coaster created by pregnancy hormones? I cried frequently over the 5 day packing period.
The good news is that we are all packed up and moved into our rental place. Our house is empty, the floors are sparkly clean, the baseboards are wiped, the paint is touched up (by Derek, not me). Our belongings are stored either in our rental house, the rented 28 foot trailer, OR with my in-laws. I won’t go so far as to say that we are settled in our rental house, but we are there.
A Last Goodbye
On Monday and Tuesday night, we were finishing up the last of the packing. You know those things – the ones you aren’t quite sure what to do with that just never made it into a box? And the cleaning supplies? Now, did I mentioned the emotional roller coaster of pregnancy hormones? I am assuming it would have been just as bad if we had only lived in the house for 5 years and it was just filled with memories. But, since we remodeled this house inside and out? Well, I found myself looking at each room and thinking that it would be the last time I saw that room. I thought about what it looked like before we started, while we worked on it, and a memory of that room from us living there. And I cried. In. Each. Room.
I think that by the time we actually pulled out of the driveway the last time, Derek had rolled his eyes at my tears and had asked me if I really wanted to sell the house a million times. I am sure he thought I was nuts.
SOLD
Closing was today at 9am. We have officially sold our house. I guess I should no longer call it “our house”. It is an intense relief and also a strange feeling, all at the same time. I think about the last time we sold houses, although it was a new beginning, we knew exactly where we were going to be living. By this time in the journey, you were already decorating your new home in your head. But since we don’t know WHERE we will be living, it is a different sort of feeling. It is liberating to know that we have the freedom to start fresh somewhere new, but it is also a scary idea – especially considering the fact that we are now expecting a baby or two. I am ready to start looking forward to the next journey and taking those steps. If only I can keep my eyes open…
Which Brings Me To…
6 ½ Weeks Pregnant!
BabyCenter sent me an email on Friday letting me know I had reached the 6 week mark. Each day, I am now officially the most pregnant I have ever been. According to the BBC, my baby(ies) is the size of a lentil and is working his/her way up to a blueberry by this coming Friday. I am starting to get really tired. As I type this, I am struggling to stay awake at work (which explains why I am typing a long assed post instead of working on balancing AR – this task will probably keep my eyes open and the drool at bay for a longer period of time). Nausea has started to creep in – mainly when I am hungry and don’t get to eat soon enough or when I am faced with eating something like broccoli. Fruits are still appealing and going down pretty well, but veggies? Well, unless you count baked potatoes and French fries as veggies – not so much.
Even though I didn’t think this mark would ever get here, we are less than 1 week away from our ultrasound. There are moments that I think that there are 2 babies in there. There are moments that I think there is just 1. At this point, I am hoping to see a healthy heartbeat on Monday. If there are 2 healthy heartbeats, I would be amazed and astounded. But I think that regardless of the number in there, I will be ecstatic to see anything healthy.
4 comments:
Wow, quite the pivotal post, Carli. And I'm so thrilled for you - look how well everything is coming together!
I'll be thinking of you - can't wait to hear the GREAT news!
Oh my goodness, veggies were my nemesis when pregnant. Just looking at them made me gag.
So excited for the Big Day coming up soon!!
Goodness me! What a busy few days!
I completely understand about the self sufficient thing. I was just like that. The good news is, the reason for being lectured is so great that a little nagging won't hurt.
Try crackers for the nausea (actually spelt pretzels worked for me)
I know it's scary but your life is full of great things!
Looking forward to Monday :-)
Moving can be tough! It can be really difficult letting go of some of the control impulses when you have people helping you to move. I can relate on that one. When I had a short turn around time to move and finish my semester last year, my parents helped me pack. As much as I was grateful for the help, there were times when I had to leave the room and find something else to pack while they did their part.
Then I certainly relate to taking the time to say good-bye to a home. I have done that with every place that I have lived and whether the move was one that I embraced for happy reasons or needed time to get there. It is a good thing to do and I find it cleansing to hold those memories one more time before walking away from that space. You and Derek put so much of yourselves into that beautiful home.
And while your future is uncertain, embrace the adventure and go with the flow. There are many times I think back to when you guys took me tubing. You could struggle and fight to get in a clear pathway and away from all of the conjested mess. Or you could just let the current take you. You know you are on your way to the end of the river and you are going to get there one way or another, so may as well enjoy the ride! And it is not to say that you won't get stuck every once in a while and need to push off a big rock or take a helping friend's hand, but there is so much more to enjoy and appreciate in the journey of where you are going.
I hope you guys enjoy the time you have in your rental home until the next part unfolds. Hope those jobs in MI crop up soon!
Post a Comment