Thursday, November 18, 2010

Beta # 3, 21dp5dt

Sorry it has taken so long for me to update you all on the big scare today.  We have been quite busy.

I got in touch with Nurse J around 9:30 this morning.  She indicated that the fact that the bleeding had stopped was a good sign.  Although this was a good sign, I asked if there was anything else that they could do to offer me some reassurance.  She indicated that they would prefer not to do an ultrasound - it was too early to see a heartbeat and they felt a better idea would be for us to do another Beta.  She offered to hold their courier so that we could get the results back today.

Derek and I got in the car and drove to Alpharetta as quickly as we could.  After the blood draw, our Doctor and Nurse J talked to us.  They said over and over again that they really felt that it was nothing to worry about.  The bleeding could have been from my cervix, my vagina, or my uterus (and hopefully not the uterus).  Although I disagreed with this statement, Nurse J indicated that we would want to see anything 900 or above because of a possible plateau.  I think she didn't want me to have high hopes on a very high number.

They called this afternoon with my results - 11,708.  So, well above 900.  And, by my calculations, fairly close to doubling every 2 days.

So, it appears that the bleeding this morning was a false alarm.  The bleeding is probably related to the vaginal progesterone inserts that I am using.  I really hope this is the only episode of bleeding that I have.  I was really positive that I had lost the baby(ies).  Derek and I laid in the bed for those miserable 4 hours - holding each other and crying over how unfair it was.  When the bleeding slowed, we were finally able to fall into a fitful sleep.  Waiting on those test results was excruciating.  And when the results came in, I can't explain the relief I felt.  I said several prayers of thanks this afternoon.

To all of you who offered support, I appreciate all of your kind thoughts and your statements to help to calm me.  I don't know how anyone could survive infertility like the friends I have found in this community.  Thank you so much for all of the love.  Those of you who prayed, please keep them coming.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

I am so glad that you and the baby(es) are okay. I just now saw your posts and that sounds incredibly scary. I am so glad that you have a great doctor that was able to do the beta and hold the courier so you could know the results right away. I keep praying for you and you are in my thoughts everyday. Love you! (((HUGS)))

Melissa G said...

I could cry from the sheer relief I feel right now...

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!!!!

Hugs for Derek too!

Ashley said...

Awesome news- great to hear!

happymomof4 said...

OH SO SO HAPPY to read the good news!!!!!! I had a scare too, so I know what you were going through. I was thinking about you all and praying that all was well. ((HUGS))

Java said...

Whewwww what a relief! I'm so happy for you guys!!
Thanks for taking the time to update us! We have all been wondering..hoping..and praying!

Spit Happens said...

I don't think I breathed through this entire post. I was so worried and now so relieved for you! Thank God that your baby(ies) is still growing strong. Love you so much!

Kerri said...

Oh my goodness, what a relief! I am so, so glad to hear this news. I thought about you all day yesterday. Bleeding in pregnancy is always scary, but a lot of the time, it has a not-so-terrible explanation. I do hope it's your last episode just to save you the worry. Now we count down the days 'til your ultrasound! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

WHEW! I just let out the biggest sigh ever after reading this. That's great new. I'm going to keep you and the baby/ies in my thoughts and prayers. <3

Ms. Pollywog said...

GREAT news! Now try to have a lovely weekend, enjoying your pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to just now chime in but I too am absolutely thrilled to hear this. I am not sure if you've ever read Finch's blog over at Grizzly Eggs, but she had serious bleeding soon after her Betas in her IVF cycle and she just delivered a beautiful, healthy baby boy. She's a lovely person and I betcha she wouldn't mind a bit if you checked out some of her posts during that time or sent her an email. http://grizzlyeggs.blogspot.com/2010/02/pregnant-for-day.html

Thinking of you! Go baby(ies) go!!!!!! xoxo

Anna said...

OMG! So sorry you had to go through that!!! Praying for you!

Once Upon A Time said...

So glad that you were able to get a wonderful reassuring number. I hope the bleeding does not come back at all- but if it does, know that it really is not all that uncommon. For months I still checked my underwear expecting something. You only have a week until the u/s now- can you stand it???