If I could write our donors a letter, I think I would. But this is an anonymous embryo donation and I can never send them a letter to thank them. Instead, I will send these words out into Cyberspace in the hopes that somehow, somewhere, they will understand.
Dear Donors,
My husband and I have been attempting to grow our family for 5 years now. Almost 2 years ago, we were beginning our first IVF cycle and had to fill out all of the paperwork the clinic required. When it came to the question of what to do with any remaining embryos, we struggled with the decision. Suffering from infertility, we felt drawn to help others who couldn't conceive. But the thought of someone else raising our child seemed so foreign. After all, if we had tried so hard for this family, would we really want to give any of our potential children away? Fast forward a few weeks and we found out the answer to this question really didn't matter for us. We had a lot of embryos, but all of them had terrible fragmentation. After a day 3 transfer of 3 and a devastating negative result. In addition, we had nothing to freeze. We continued to try IVF to no avail. As our dreams fell around us, I began to understand just how much of a gift that embryo donation is.
I am sure that when you made your decision to donate, you realized that this was an amazing gift that you were giving. But I don't know if you have truly grasped just how much of a difference that you are making in the lives of others.
Instead of our story stopping with failed IVF cycles and a childless life, we now have another chapter in our book. Thanks to YOUR kindness and generosity, we are attempting an FET with your donated embryos next week. I will forever be grateful of your decision to donate as it is allowing us the opportunity to attempt to give your biological children life and to fulfill our dreams of having a child. I am not eloquent enough to tell you just how much this gift to us means - how my heart swells with love every time I think of you and of our little embryos waiting to be nestled in my uterus next week. And I will continue to be grateful to you for this regardless of the outcome of this cycle - because without your decision to donate, this chapter couldn't even be written.
Thank you so much for choosing to donate and for making this opportunity possible for us.
4 comments:
What a beautiful letter.
Good luck with this FET <3
Great letter! We are doing an anonymous adoption as well but I pray that the donating parents know just how much of a blessing they are giving us.
Absolutely lovely words.
Thank you for sharing Carli. What a heartfelt, beautiful letter. You can really feel the emotion in it. I am so thrilled for you to move on to this next chapter. Can't wait to hear all the details as things progress.
Post a Comment