Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm Scared

I havent caved in and tested yet.  I thought about it this morning.  I even opened the drawer and looked at the box, but I couldnt bring myself to do it.

At this point, I havent POAS in over a year.  Not for OPKs and not for HPTs.  I havent had any need to.  AF has arrived right on schedule every month.  And, lets face it.  After having 26 embryos not make it, I am pretty sure that it would be an absolute miracle if we ended up with a natural pregnancy.

I guess I had forgotten just how much anxiety that HPTs cause for me.  I have only seen that elusive BFP once in my life.  ONCE.  On a Cle.ar Bl.ue Ea.sy Digital.  But I have seen more BFNs that I can count OR I care to mention.  Digitally, Single Lined, in my blood.  You name it, Ive had it telling me that I wont be a mommy.  But when you havent been actively pursuing treatments, it is really easy to push the heartache of all of those BFNs to the back of your mind.

Maybe I should revise that statement.  It isnt as if I forgot about all of those BFNs.  It is just that the intense pain of seeing another one is easier to forget about.  Every day, I still remember that I cant have children as easily as others.  And every day I wish that was different.  But I dont spend every day staring down at another BFN with tears streaming down my face.

This last year of not actively trying has been a nice break from all of that heartache.  It wasnt as if AF showing up didnt make me feel pain.  But at least I wasnt cursing her name every month.  It was just a fact of life.  She came, she left, she came again.  I know all of you that have taken a break know what I mean.  The pain is still there, but the wound is scabbed over and has been healing.  It is no longer gaping and bleeding and throbbing with every breath you take.  And testing to see if this Hail Mary cycle has worked?  Well, it is like ripping off the bandage that is covering that wound.  You dont know if you are going to be pulling the scab off and starting the pain all over again or if you are going to see some healthy pink skin leaving only a scar to remind you of all that you went through to get here.

This is it for us. 

Unless we somehow are gifted some embryos, we wont have the opportunity for another try with Donor Embryos.  Since we went through our clinic, we get one shot with 2 embryos when our name reaches the top.  There is no second chance unless we go back to the bottom of the list and wait another 2 years.  I know there are other options and places to get donor embryos.  But I dont know if I am up to investing in a totally new program at this point.  If I have to go through a home study to get embryos, I think I will just complete the home study for adoption instead.

This morning, after I shut the drawer and got in the shower, just thinking about testing made my heart race and it made me feel very anxious.  I havent been able to shake that feeling since then.

My heart is pounding even as I type this.  Maybe it is the finality of it all.  But I am really scared that I will see another BFN staring back at me and I dont know if I can do this.  I dont know if I can take another one.  I really want to see a scar there, but I am so afraid that it is just going to be an open wound staring back at me 

11 comments:

Melissa G said...

Carli, the more I read on this post the tighter my stomach got and I quickly noticed that I had been holding my breath.

I completely understand what you mean, about having been away from the tests for so long - when you pick one up again it's terrifying. But probably WAY worse for you because there is so much riding on it.

I wish I could take the fear and anxiety away for you - please know I'd do it in an instant if I could. And at the very least I SO wish I could give you a big hug IRL right now.

Love you!

Ashley said...

Praying for a positive!

Kerri said...

I've been praying for you, Carli. I can only imagine how scary this is for you right now. Thank goodness it's Friday & the wait is almost over. You have so many people rooting for you and praying for you & holding their breath for you right now! It's your time. You deserve this. Love you!!!

happymomof4 said...

Praying for a positive!!!!

Aaron and Jennifer said...

I hope there is a scar this time and not an open wound! Great infertility analogy btw...

Marianne said...

I am so sorry you are going through this anxiety...it totally makes sense though. We are all pulling for you!!!

Anna said...

Positive vibes~~~~positive vibes~~~ positive vibes~~~~~

I know you are stressing. I've been praying for you!!!

Lau said...

Carli, I know nothing I say will make the time go faster but know that we are all rooting for you and that what you're going through is totally understandable.

I'm a big fan of not POAS because it only made me freak out more and didn't really give me any sense of certainty (I kept second guessing myself and the results, did I test too early? Was the stick good? etc) but I do know that's a personal choice.

My husband and I are both wishing with all our hearts that this is it for you (he always asks after you at dinner :-)

With so many people sending you positive energy this has to be it for you.

Sending you lots and lots of hugs.

Jamie said...

Carli, such a raw and honest post. It brings tears to my eyes. I have been thinking about you and will continue to pray for you. My heart hurts for you in these final moments for something that should be filled with joy to be tainted with anxiety. But I am still holding my breath with hope for good news. May you find some peace until the blood test.

Love you!

Alie said...

Carli, I cried. I mean, I had to stop and put my face in my hands. Reading your post brought back so many memories, and knowing that this one single result has so much weight for you, I broke.

You're in my thoughts. And wether you caved and POAS stick this morning, or are so terrified of the results that you put off all tests for another week, I'll be thinking of you and praying.

Once Upon A Time said...

I've been thinking about you all weekend, love. (And blog stalking when I have a second). I have not forgotten that "this is it for us" feeling. My heart is pulling for you so hard, that I know I will cry for you either way. I'm wishing deep down in my bones that I will have tears of happiness for you very, very soon. Love you.